X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlang
    replied
    next run please inclue XFS

when you do the next round of such tests, please include XFS. I know that it's now new and sexy, but it's still reliably outperforming many of the filesystems in the test

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    sorry but this is ridiculous

I once posted a correction (which showed an error and got me to post again which said I should wait 45 secs)

and the reward is a triple post

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    WTF - stupid 10 minutes alteration window:
    WTF - 45 seconds between posts (I understand this helps against those crazy spammers BUT COME ON !)

Originally posted by patstew View Post
    I'm very aware that anecdote != data, but reiser4 is the only file system I've had where a bunch of files have irrevocably disappeared, and this was when it was supposed to be reasonably usable, not back when it was expected to be unstable, I'd guess sometime not too long before hans was caught. I'd be pretty wary about trusting it again.
    I had the same happening to me with (in ascending order):

* reiserfs v3.6 (2004 then NEVER more, probably some hash problems - I meanwhile switched to tea hash in favor of r5 )
    * JFS several times (it would even corrupt filenames, had problems with file creation dates, problems with "umlaute" (??? ?) and make files disappear - I gave it a try several times and each time it happened)
    * XFS (it zeroed several of my files during crashes on /home; when trying to use it on / (root) with dmcrypt [luks] it just literally ZEROED my system partition - I tried it three times in 2 years and each time after a hardlock it happened )
    * ext3 (corrupted my data after crashes)

* ext4
    * reiserfs
    * reiser4
    ==> safe so far for me with current kernel releases

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied
    WTF - stupid 10 minutes alteration window:

I'm very aware that anecdote != data, but reiser4 is the only file system I've had where a bunch of files have irrevocably disappeared, and this was when it was supposed to be reasonably usable, not back when it was expected to be unstable, I'd guess sometime not too long before hans was caught. I'd be pretty wary about trusting it again.

* reiserfs v3.6 (2004 then NEVER more, probably some hash problems - I meanwhile switched to tea hash in favor of r5 )
    * JFS several times (it would even corrupt filenames, had problems with file creation dates, problems with "umlaute" (??? ?) and make files disappear - I gave it a try several times and each time it happened)
    * XFS (it zeroed several of my files during crashes on /home; when trying to use it on / (root) with dmcrypt [luks] it just literally ZEROED my system partition - I tried it three times in 2 years and each time after a hardlock it happened )

* ext4
    * reiserfs
    * reiser4

Leave a comment:

• kernelOfTruth
    replied

* reiserfs v3.6 (2004 then NEVER more )
    * JFS several times (it would even corrupt filenames, had problems with file creation dates and make files disappear - I gave it a try several times and each time it happened)
    * XFS (it zeroed several of my files during crashes on /home; when trying to use it on / (root) with dmcrypt [luks] it just literally ZEROED my system partition )

* ext4
    * reiserfs
    * reiser4

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    drag, the latest resier4 patch FROM EDWARD is NOT BROKEN.

The stuff in ZEN on the other hand has been broken for ages and I am afraid since Micheal had problems is still broken.

So, for you: Edward was able to create an unbroken patch for 2.6.32. A patch that is working flawless here. He also posted a series of patches for -mm on 2.2.2010. If you want to look into mailing list archives.

Leave a comment:

• drag
    replied
    Originally posted by intgr View Post
    Geez! reiser4 is known to be broken on Zen-Kernel because has not been ported to Linux 2.6.32 yet.

What was wrong with the official reiser4 patches?

What sort of crack is being smoked here?

You link goes to "pub/linux/kenrel/people/edward"

And the email link you posted here is a email _from_Edwards_ talking about how Reiser4 is broken in _2.6.32_ due to changesto the kernel introduced since 2.6.31.

That post says that Reiser4 support is broken in 2.6.32, not that it has anything to do with anything specifically to Zen. So I have to assume that it's the 2.6.32 reiser4 patch in the link you posted that is broken.

One guy posting broken patches and saying he will get around to fixing the problems in his spare time is not something gives me any confindence at all in the state of Reiser4.

Leave a comment:

• filip007
    replied
    What's the difference ReiserFS and Reiser4?

I like to try this some day...Raiser=Razer

Leave a comment:

• laurencevde
    replied
    SQLite makes a gazillion small changes to a single file. Worst-case scenario for a lot of journaling-schemes.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNielsen
    replied
    As the BKL removal patch for ReiserFS was just merged it would be nice to have a version of the test executed comparing ReiserFS BKL vs. BKL free to see the impact. It would also be nice to note for future reference which is used in the test.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X