Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.9 To Allow Larger Frame-Buffer Console Font Size For Today's 4K Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9 To Allow Larger Frame-Buffer Console Font Size For Today's 4K Displays

Phoronix: Linux 6.9 To Allow Larger Frame-Buffer Console Font Size For Today's 4K Displays

With the frame-buffer device "FBDEV" subsystem changes sent out today for the Linux 6.9 kernel, there is support for larger console fonts to better handle today's ~4K displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Good to see this change being made, even if it's a few years later than I would have preferred.

Comment

Yes! That's a good change.
      No more tiny letters on screen.

How about arbitrary size support though?

Comment

I want to see Unicode and 24-bit color support for fbdev. Why is that terminal so antique still?

Comment

Glad I'll no longer having to squint when using a tty on an ultrawide.

Comment

Would be nice if they made it use the size information out of the EDID to select a size.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              I want to see Unicode and 24-bit color support for fbdev. Why is that terminal so antique still?
              It's meant to be simple. That stuff adds a lot of complexity. There's kmscon if you want that though! Even with Unicode and fullwidth glyph support, you'd want input methods after that; and at that point you wonder why you don't just run X or Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It's meant to be simple. That stuff adds a lot of complexity. There's kmscon if you want that though! Even with Unicode and fullwidth glyph support, you'd want input methods after that; and at that point you wonder why you don't just run X or Wayland.
                I do want Wayland, but I want the vt / tty terminal not to be so crippled too. I'll take a look at kmscon, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  How about arbitrary size support though?
                  Different sizes for different monitors too, please. Oh, and one of my monitors is rotated so can we please have the text the correct orientation on that one monitor but not the other.

I know, I'm expecting too much out of my framebuffer. It does it's dumb stupid job and I should stop complaining!

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

Just tried kmscon - it's pretty cool. Looks like it's not maintained though (last commits - 2014) and there are some minor bugs. That's unfortunate.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 21 March 2024, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X