Bcachefs Multi-Device Users Should Avoid Linux 6.7: "A Really Horific Bug"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    As long as the data is recoverable, I don't consider it eaten.
    I like bcachefs, but that's pure mental gymnastics. By this measure btrfs, too, never eats your data because btrfs restore can almost always recover it :-)
    Last edited by intelfx; 17 March 2024, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Fights with kernel maintainers. Proud of himself because he didn't make one of Hans Reiser's many mistakes. Nasty corruption bug almost immediately after months of intense and emotional lobbying to get included in a kernel release. I'm steering clear of this fs.

I'm not really sure what the BCA chefs were seeing in this project to endorse it and agree to the naming like they did.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

I like bcachefs, but that's pure mental gymnastics. By this measure btrfs, too, never eats your data because btrfs check can almost always recover it :-)
        i've had btrfs break irrecoverably 7 times last year alone. I keep trying it because people kept saying "oh it's better now, Oh it's better now" it was never in fact better.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Fights with kernel maintainers. Proud of himself because he didn't make one of Hans Reiser's many mistakes. Nasty corruption bug almost immediately after months of intense and emotional lobbying to get included in a kernel release. I'm steering clear of this fs.

I'm not really sure what the BCA chefs were seeing in this project to endorse it and agree to the naming like they did.
          A thoroughly unpleasant guy. You can literally read the "I'm special" from every second sentence he writes. Does not want to follow normal stable procedures (or other procedures, for that matter). Complains about the consequences of that. Tries to shift responsibility for his mess on other people. Fucks with user's data instead of backing out the apparently triggering userspace changes. Yeah, I'm staying away from anything this guy touches as well.

Comment

i've had btrfs break irrecoverably 7 times last year alone
            Yeah, I call bullshit on this one

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
              Yeah, I call bullshit on this one
              Feel free to, I don't care whether or not you believe me, But as I said, I care more about whether the data can be easily recovered because for me btrfs has historically not been. I avoid btrfs like the plague it is

Comment

i've had btrfs break irrecoverably 7 times last year alone. I keep trying it because people kept saying "oh it's better now, Oh it's better now" it was never in fact better.
                The first six times didn't make you a bit more hesitant? I think after the first six times I'd be holding a funeral for btrfs, writing a lengthy obituary and eulogy. Bury that sucker 6-feet under.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

The first six times didn't make you a bit more hesitant? I think after the first six times I'd be holding a funeral for btrfs, writing a lengthy obituary and eulogy. Bury that sucker 6-feet under.
                  I can do some funky stuff sometimes and really hammer drivers, which is why I always give things a lot of chances when i test them, this testing was also across various drives of which some lasted longer then others.

Comment

I've been using btrfs for 2 years and it works fine for me

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post
                      <...> Fucks with user's data instead of backing out the apparently triggering userspace changes. <...>
                      As if the "EXPERIMENTAL" markings on every single step of the way were not enough?

You know, the entire point of a "beta" is to conduct wider testing, but at the same time reserve the right to fix things where they need to be fixed, not where it would be most convenient or least breaking.

Comment

Working...
                      X