Bcachefs Multi-Device Users Should Avoid Linux 6.7: "A Really Horific Bug"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Multi-Device Users Should Avoid Linux 6.7: "A Really Horific Bug"

Phoronix: Bcachefs Multi-Device Users Should Avoid Linux 6.7: "A Really Horific Bug"

If you were feeling adventurous and began using the Bcachefs file-system upon its introduction in Linux 6.7 mainline and using it for a multi-device setup, you are best off upgrading to Linux 6.8 as soon as possible due to known issues with the code in v6.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"The COW filesystem for Linux that won't eat your data".

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
      Maybe doing it right for all thinkable situations isn't that easy after all.

Comment

Just curious, has anyone using this fs and got affected by this?

Comment

You'd have to be stupid to start using a brand new filesystem in production systems as soon as it lands in the kernel. I am very excited about bcachefs but I am not getting near it for at least a couple of years.

Comment

Cough. No guarantees for metadata, however.

(This is a joke). The fact that it is (likely) recoverable is good. As with many things in life, the test of a good system is not how it performs when everything is working, but how well it recovers from when things don't work properly. Catastrophic unrecoverable failure is bad. Fixability is good.

Comment

This was entirely predictable. As I warned about in the multiple news stories of various data loss bugs in ZFS, all mainstream filesystems have had data loss bugs at one point or the other. Whether you are a Btrfs or ZFS or Bcachefs fan, it doesn't matter. Users would be better off having multiple backups of the data they care about and not rely on the filesystem to protect them. More advanced features make the problem likely worse, not better.

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

Maybe doing it right for all thinkable situations isn't that easy after all.
                Doing it right for unthinkable situations is still more challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
                  Just curious, has anyone using this fs and got affected by this?
                  i ran into the situation that it said upgrading to version 1.6 but then it went back to 1.3 (due to kernel being 6.7?) and if i understood this was what could cause the bug, but i guess i was lucky as it finished correctly. Now i booted into 6.8 and it did the upgrade to 1.6 without falling back.

Comment

sorry, but there has not yet been eaten data. Unless you did something stupid while trying to fix your broken FS the data is there and is recoverable.

Comment

Working...
                    X