No announcement yet.

Improved Case-Insensitive File Handling Coming To Linux 6.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing I'm interested in is that bash completion and utilities are able to resolve the correct path.

I'm not going to be enabling this.

But going down the rabbit hole

You might as well replace every directory name in the root directory with a single nerd-font character -- instead of /home it's just a little house character. /bin could be a little terminal icon or #! and so on, then at least the structure would be language-agnostic.

Iconic font aggregator, collection, & patcher: 9,000+ glyph/icons, 60+ patched fonts: Hack, Source Code Pro, more. Popular glyph collections: Font Awesome, Octicons, Material Design Icons, and more

--

While we're at it we'll just replace the space character in all file-names with a tiny bullet dot · a "file dot" so we won't have to escape file paths anymore.

And while we're at it we might as well fix the ISO keyboard only having so many limited characters and add new characters of our choice.​ Maybe throw in LCD backlit keys and a [ Next Page ] and [ Previous Page Keys ] and suddenly a row of 5x4 with 5 pages has 100 characters or emojis on demand or whatever.

--

Those Winfolk want to do some renovation? We'll lets not forgot Terry A Davis "We gotta fix ASCII" and start making a list and checking it thrice.

Comment

the space character in all file-names with a tiny bullet dot ·
      No. Underscore like 'a_file.txt'. Reserve '.' for extension separator.

Comment

Originally posted by RAINFIRE View Post

Nothing to do with that. Please check yourself.
        What is fascism? (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism. ​(I copy/pasted that)

With that definition in mind: Nothing about case sensitivity affects anyone who doesn't actually need it or use it. Instead of ignoring case sensitivity and going on with their lives they'd rather have some governing body enforce how people can and can't write file names. Instead of letting people write file names in ways that work for them within the confines of their operating environment they'd rather suppress alternate ways of writing file names and force people onto their ways of doing things.

You can replace case sensitivity above with sexuality, gender, drugs, religion, colors, history, abortion, or anything else where one group wants to enforce how everyone else goes on about their business or when they want to enforce specific meanings or specific perspectives.

Nothing about it affects them but instead of ignoring it and going on with their lives they'd rather lord their way over the rest of us. That's what makes them fascists. It doesn't matter if it's something as benign or seemingly meaningless as Linux filesystem case handling or something that actually matters like allowing people to make their own choices about themselves, that fascist attitude needs to be fought and challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by RAINFIRE View Post
          Why, Lord, why?
          Find me a single reason for case-sensitivity other than creating a mess and confusing yourself and other people.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Find me a single reason for case-sensitivity other than creating a mess and confusing yourself and other people.
            Fascism? Of course, capital letters are higher in hierarchy and they should have distinction, lower case should know their place, which is lower. Equality is dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Fascism? Of course, capital letters are higher in hierarchy and they should have distinction, lower case should know their place, which is lower. Equality is dangerous
              joke aside, I am happy to see this change coming. I will enable it as soon as it is released in the stable kernel. And, thank you, MS!

Comment

In the past I have fixed git repositories to make them compatible with case insensitive file systems, but I have never had software not work on a case sensitive file system.

Comment

It's just English itself is dumb. All these upper case and lower case letters. The same letters or group of them are spelled differently in different words and places. All the west is about gender equality but even in their languages different genders have different pronouns.

Take for example Georgian. One of the oldest languages that have alphabet. It's alphabet is not like any other. It's VERY old. Very beautiful rounded letters. All letters write exactly as you hear them and are said exactly same anywhere in the word. There are no upper case or lowercase, and more importantly there are no gender specific pronouns. he/she. In Georgian it's all the same no matter it's he or she. They solved all these problems much earlier then most of modern countries even existed. Hell, it's the motherland of wine which Georgians created 8000 years ago. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/9-1djmAZeYA

We should have used it as computer language and we would not have such problems at all. Plus all these LGBTQ agencies won't have to implement he/she/they/them stupid pronouns, because as i said above it's all the same in Georgian
                  Last edited by t1r0nama; 09 March 2024, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

i remember having the case sensitivity argument a few decades ago on slashdot or osnews (i forget where). it was no use then, and seems like little has changed since.

there was a time that believed case sensitivity was a result of laziness from the original developers of unix. i figured that they didn't bother with taking the extra effort for attention to detail. fast forward a few years and that flaw has pretty much become so entrenched into the ecosystem that it was too difficult to address. laziness prevails, until recently.

zfs (like apple's filesystems) have a case preserve flag (that i always set when possible). it's just more natural that way. in the real world, case is not meant to change function, it's more cosmetic.

slowly but surely, things are moving in the right direction. now... if we could just fix those file permissions.
                    Last edited by tuaris; 09 March 2024, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuaris View Post

i remember having the case sensitivity argument a few decades ago on slashdot or osnews (i forget where). it was no use then, and seems like little has changed since.

there was a time that believed case sensitivity was a result of laziness from the original developers of unix. i figured that they didn't bother with taking the extra effort for attention to detail. fast forward a few years and that flaw has pretty much become so entrenched into the ecosystem that it was too difficult to address. laziness prevails, until recently.

zfs (like apple's filesystems) have a case preserve flag (that i always set when possible). it's just more natural that way. in the real world, case is not meant to change function, it's more cosmetic.

slowly but surely, things are moving in the right direction. now... if we could just fix those file permissions.
                      Thanks. Exactly my thoughts. Never been of any use, it still isn't and I think it's not just laziness, probably it was too computationally expensive back then. File names lookups become a lot more CPU intensive when your FS is case insensitive.

Comment

Working...
                      X