No announcement yet.

Linux 6.8 x86/urgent Update Beefs Up Protection Against Side Channel CPU Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.8 x86/urgent Update Beefs Up Protection Against Side Channel CPU Bugs

Phoronix: Linux 6.8 x86/urgent Update Beefs Up Protection Against Side Channel CPU Bugs

Sent in this morning via the "x86/urgent" pull request ahead of the Linux 6.8-rc6 kernel later today is a set of patches from Intel to ensure clearing of CPU buffers using the VERW instruction happens at the latest possible point in the return-to-userspace code path. This is being done to better protect against CPU bugs like Microarchitectural Data Sampling (MDS)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mitigations=off i915.mitigations=off

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
      Glad I'm on a brand new Ryzen now. Last time Michael benchmarked it, he found that turning off what mitigations actually apply to AMD CPUs actually made things slower. (Probably because the branch prediction had been tuned to expect them.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Glad I'm on a brand new Ryzen now. Last time Michael benchmarked it, he found that turning off what mitigations actually apply to AMD CPUs actually made things slower. (Probably because the branch prediction had been tuned to expect them.)
        ADL/RPL/MTL are quite OK'ish as well.

Comment

Nice photo

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Nice photo
            Gosh darn people blocking my side channels. What the heck is an old retired engineer to do nowadays?

Grrrr ...​

Oh yeah, the photo

Comment

Why does i915 need its extra switch? When I say mitigations=off, I really mean it, I don't want to hunt down modules which think they're special.

Comment

Originally posted by npwx View Post

Why does i915 need its extra switch? When I say mitigations=off, I really mean it, I don't want to hunt down modules which think they're special.
                You're free to send a patch in for all the modules, it should be a relatively simple change of additionally just checking the cmdline for mitigations=off in each one, but don't be surprised that they get rejected. The documentation is very clear on what the top level mitigations parameter means.

Code:
                mitigations=
                [X86,PPC,S390,ARM64]
                Control optional mitigations for CPU vulnerabilities.  This is a set of
                curated, arch-independent options, each of which is an
                aggregation of existing arch-specific options.

Comment

I don’t use mitigations, btw

Comment

Originally posted by Namelesswonder View Post

You're free to send a patch in for all the modules, it should be a relatively simple change of additionally just checking the cmdline for mitigations=off in each one, but don't be surprised that they get rejected. The documentation is very clear on what the top level mitigations parameter means.

Code:
                    mitigations=
                    [X86,PPC,S390,ARM64]
                    Control optional mitigations for CPU vulnerabilities. This is a set of
                    curated, arch-independent options, each of which is an
                    aggregation of existing arch-specific options.
                    You're right, I thought it was just some i915 specific CPU bug mitigation. I didn't realize Intel invented yet another way to leak your data.

Comment

Working...
                    X