No announcement yet.

OpenZFS 2.2.3 Released With Numerous Fixes, Support For Linux 6.7~6.8 Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.2.3 Released With Numerous Fixes, Support For Linux 6.7~6.8 Kernels

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.2.3 Released With Numerous Fixes, Support For Linux 6.7~6.8 Kernels

OpenZFS 2.2.3 is out today as the first update to this open-source ZFS file-system implementation since OpenZFS 2.2.2 from early December when it was released for dealing with a data corruption issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, I can update the zypper locks on my desktop.

Comment

When will block cloning be reactivated by default?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Heavy on fixes in the same sentence with filesystem is a very bad omen

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          When will block cloning be reactivated by default?
          Tomorrow

Comment

> now has support for the Linux 6.7

Finally, this took forever.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
              Heavy on fixes in the same sentence with filesystem is a very bad omen
              BTRFS Changelog:
              • Fixed RAID 5/6
              • Fixed disk size reporting with block cloning
              • Fixed metadata inflation issue
              Phoronix Users:
              • That's lot of fixes therefore BTRFS sucks.
              There will be a lot of fixes incoming with Linux 6.8. I think you should reboot to Windows to prevent Linux 6.7 from corrupting your system

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

BTRFS Changelog:
                • Fixed RAID 5/6
                • Fixed disk size reporting with block cloning
                • Fixed metadata inflation issue
                Phoronix Users:
                • That's lot of fixes therefore BTRFS sucks.
                There will be a lot of fixes incoming with Linux 6.8. I think you should reboot to Windows to prevent Linux 6.7 from corrupting your system
                While it's not my intent to start a flame war (though I realize it totally could): I think the RAID 5/6 architecture in BTRFS is broken.

Bugs and bad code can be fixed (and they should be fixed ... )

Code architecture is more painful to fix, but that is still fixable.

High-level design issues oftentimes can't be fixed really ... one needs to redo the whole thing.

Most importantly, the RAID 5/6 write hole is such a high-level design issue in BTRFS.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I think you should reboot to Windows to prevent Linux 6.7 from corrupting your system
                  I will reboot into ext4 but surely not windows! however the point is how much fixes there are and what bugs they solve....lately it looks like these new shiny filesystems are showing serious bugs that put your data at risk

everyone with a brain presumes that filesystems are heavily tested pieces of code and they shouldn't follow a similar "bug curve" as other common software!!

Comment

After the last round of ZFS updates, 2.1.4/2.2.2 to fix the nasty corruption bug, I moaned and groaned that this was the kind of thing that the distros should have been all over (but weren't), and now I have to build/maintain my own major O/S component. So far, maintaining my own ZFS builds has been no problem, although I have yet to get through the entire ZFS test-suite absolutely cleanly (including correlating the list of test failures against the list of tests that are supposed to fail (that's dirty, FFS make the tests that are supposed to fail report success when they do fail)).

My plan is to poll the git issues for a week or so (while I finish doing my taxes) before diving into this update.

Comment

Working...
                    X