No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Receives Funding By NLNet With NGI Zero Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome news. I've also been a Patreon member for a while now, can't wait for the first distros to add installer support for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Really glad to see bcachefs get the funding it deserves. or at least some of it. I currently use it on my gaming and scratch nvme, compared to f2fs I havent noticed a difference in speed, but for sure how much I am able to shove onto it thanks to reflink and compression that actually saves space. It also hasn't crashed except for a single time, but I was/am running dkms so I updated that and issue never occured again
      This is the dream. Just curious: what compression algorithm / ZSTD level are you using, and do you back your NVME against any HDD?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
        Awesome news. I've also been a Patreon member for a while now, can't wait for the first distros to add installer support for this.
        I know. I'd love to see a little GUI thing that visualizes the activity between BCacheFS and all its drives. I think IOTop is a decent way to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
          Go Kent, go! I just took a look at his Patreon page, and his header image is a picture of the Battersea Power Station, different image, but what is featured on the Pink Floyd "Animals" album. Nice
          Pretty cool to see what that old power plant has been turned into with all the rooftop gardens and shops and restaurants and apartments and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

This is the dream. Just curious: what compression algorithm / ZSTD level are you using, and do you back your NVME against any HDD?
            im currently using zstd with default compression and dont have the nvme backed, I do plan on formating and putting an SSD to it when im done nuking the pre-existing windows stuff on it.

Comment

Good to see funding, although it is not my first option (Hammer2 is both more mature and more promising).

Random: I have not heard about Tux3 in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

My point was more towards contrasting how frontend bs gets funding but the meat of the issue, what makes Linux the premiere, is most often forgotten in these kind of outside fundings.

Sure, you want to fund Linux desktop. Best way to do that it by funding Linux, and let the desktop organically build on top of a incrementally better kernel you funded. Instead of spending 1M on UI you could spend 1M on kernel, and have 10M worth of enthusiastic volunteer UI developers come in because your kernel became next level.
                That approach has failed. The outcome after 30 years of that is that we have GNOME which has a number of issues, KDE with another number of issues, and a varying plethora of me-too desktops and yet-another tiling compositors that bring little value to the big picture. The kernel's funding is there, it's plentiful and it's important, but to get a good UI, you need to directly fund the UI, not hope that it will somehow magically appear out of thin air.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That approach has failed. The outcome after 30 years of that is that we have GNOME which has a number of issues, KDE with another number of issues, and a varying plethora of me-too desktops and yet-another tiling compositors that bring little value to the big picture. The kernel's funding is there, it's plentiful and it's important, but to get a good UI, you need to directly fund the UI, not hope that it will somehow magically appear out of thin air.
                  cosmic comp is appearing out of thin space, not air /s

jokes aside, I wonder if the S76 would accept donations specifically for cosmic, not that it seems like they need it.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    I could not envision a better recipient for funding. Contrast to the recently announced 1 million for gnome? What will it materialize as?
                    Cherishing all the mentioned benefits of BcacheFS, I still wonder why the homepage of bcachefs.org does not mention scrubbing with auto-repair of Raid-1.
                    IMHO this would be much more important than some speed and compression details...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

What you're suggesting is basically the current status quo and is why we're in a place where themes don't even work between Qt and GTK, let alone all the other UI tool kits. A bunch of random enthusiastic volunteers don't have a unified direction or goal. They want what they want and that's what they do. That's why we've ended up with KDE, GNOME, XFCE, Enlightenment, Budgie, COSMIC, IceWM, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Openbox, Sway, SwayFX, i3, Weston, Metacity, Mutter, KWin, KWin-FT....

Don't pretend windows has any functioning theming to speak if. Their dark mode barely works with apps. KDE at least manages to theme GTK apps, even if shadows look a bit off or something.

Originally posted by LinAdmin View Post
                      Cherishing all the mentioned benefits of BcacheFS, I still wonder why the homepage of bcachefs.org does not mention scrubbing with auto-repair of Raid-1.
                      IMHO this would be much more important than some speed and compression details...
                      Seems like scrubbing is not completely implemented, but it is on their immediate roadmap

Comment

Working...
                      X