No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Receives Funding By NLNet With NGI Zero Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to hear they scored some funding. Bcachefs might be a nice alternative to btrfs once it is mature and feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Seems like scrubbing is not completely implemented, but it is on their immediate roadmap
      Any URL giving details available?

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
        Nice to hear they scored some funding. Bcachefs might be a nice alternative to btrfs once it is mature and feature complete.
        You don't need to wait for btrfs to be mature and feature complete to use bcachefs as an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by gotar View Post

You don't need to wait for btrfs to be mature and feature complete to use bcachefs as an alternative.
          I don't have to, because it already is. But I have to wait for bcachefs is mature and feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

That approach has failed. The outcome after 30 years of that is that we have GNOME which has a number of issues, KDE with another number of issues, and a varying plethora of me-too desktops and yet-another tiling compositors that bring little value to the big picture. The kernel's funding is there, it's plentiful and it's important, but to get a good UI, you need to directly fund the UI, not hope that it will somehow magically appear out of thin air.
            Couldn't agree more, this kind of mentality is really misguided

Comment

Originally posted by LinAdmin View Post

Any URL giving details available?
              Is it really that hard to look for yourself?

Comment

That approach has failed. The outcome after 30 years of that is that we have GNOME which has a number of issues, KDE with another number of issues, and a varying plethora of me-too desktops and yet-another tiling compositors that bring little value to the big picture. The kernel's funding is there, it's plentiful and it's important, but to get a good UI, you need to directly fund the UI, not hope that it will somehow magically appear out of thin air.
                ‚Äč
                Plasma 6 is lightyears ahead of something like windows. Only mac might still be more consistent in UI look. And both of them also have issues.

So what are we really comparing to when saying failed? IMO almost every Linux desktop is better than the proprietary competition because they lack customization, so they failed from the get-go. Imagine how much easier and more bug free gnome 3 would have been if they never introduced a extension interface.

Comment

I agree with Gnome and KDE having issues, like Gnome having no systray and KDE full of bugs in rolling distros (possibly ok in LTS distros, don't know).

Now, what's a "good UI" (speaking of desktop)? Gnome keeps reinventing things. Does this make it better? Like "let's replace systray with ... " (I don't know, I still don't get it how you can replace system-tray with notifications... like, instead of an "on" icon, you constantly get reminders "app is still running"?). KDE tries to be as flashy as possible at the cost of stability - is this good or bad?

I'd say "let the users decide what they like". Which makes the "plethora of me-too desktops and yet-another tiling compositor" a *good* thing. I can pick whatever I personally like best. I'd rather have 5 "me-too desktops" to chose from instead of letting almighty Gnome decide what changes to force on me.

When a DE goes further than just "show windows, help the user organize them on screen", the extra stuff is nice for some and unusable for others. Gnome had a pretty good formula (except the "registry" settings), then they started "making it a better UI" and people fled to one of the many gnome2 clones.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Pretty cool to see what that old power plant has been turned into with all the rooftop gardens and shops and restaurants and apartments and everything.
                    I'll be honest, I didn't know the name of the thing off the top of my head, but looked it up. I didn't realize they redeveloped it, but after reading this I looked it up again and dug in a bit. I've never been to England so have of course never seen in person. But if I make it some day, I'll have to have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Is it really that hard to look for yourself?

https://bcachefs.org/Roadmap/
                      Thx for this link, I had overlooked it ...

Comment

Working...
                      X