Core NGINX Developer Forks Web Server Into Freenginx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by higuita View Post

You are talking about F5 and the ties to the US government 3 letters agencies, right?! ;D
    Don't be fooled, both side do the same, they both abuse their power for their gain (while claiming some random reason of the day) and smaller countries are the one that suffer and get destroyed by their games

As for freenginx, lets hope they make the useful features behind nginx paid versions available
    Sure, but USA at least tries to be subtle since it has some internal back-pressure. Russia just wants mayhem.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Very funny.

Would you run a Linux distro that was funded by the Chinese Communist Party to be used as an official OS on any computer used by the Chinese goverment?

Would you run a Linux distro created by the North Korean government?

How about a distro created by the Iranian, Iraqi, Turkish, Israeli, Saudi, or pretty much any other government?

Or is it just the U.S. government you do not trust?
      The distribution run by the Chinese is called Deepin and it actually looks amazing. Very polished Desktop Environment.
      And yes, i considered running it. The only thing that stopped me was that its debian based, so always a few month or year behind, and it forks KDE, so it is also months behind those.

And the concern about spying is pretty simple:
      When the US government spies on me, they can actually harm me through their treaties (i am living in an European vassal state of them) or even just pick me off an European airport and deport me to a jail in the USA (as it happened to multiple people) because i complained about warcrimes that the US Army did (think about Assange).
      If the Chinese government spies on me, they can't touch me, because my own government isn't going to ship me to China, nor do they have the ability to just catch people on our airports.

So yes, Chinese spying IS actually better for someone living in the West than USA spying.

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post

Sure, but USA at least tries to be subtle since it has some internal back-pressure. Russia just wants mayhem.
        What do you prefer? Someone picking you up and shipping you to Guantanamo with no drama and no trial, which is very subtle and doesn't bother the public.... or are you rather put on trial for dubious charges, with the option to just leave the country?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          Email lists in 2024? Hopefully there will be a proper git repo soon..
          No they introducing mailing lists for support again: http://freenginx.org/en/support.html

Code is of course in Git: http://freenginx.org/hg/nginx

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

The distribution run by the Chinese is called Deepin and it actually looks amazing. Very polished Desktop Environment.
            And yes, i considered running it. The only thing that stopped me was that its debian based, so always a few month or year behind, and it forks KDE, so it is also months behind those.

And the concern about spying is pretty simple:
            When the US government spies on me, they can actually harm me through their treaties (i am living in an European vassal state of them) or even just pick me off an European airport and deport me to a jail in the USA (as it happened to multiple people) because i complained about warcrimes that the US Army did (think about Assange).
            If the Chinese government spies on me, they can't touch me, because my own government isn't going to ship me to China, nor do they have the ability to just catch people on our airports.

So yes, Chinese spying IS actually better for someone living in the West than USA spying.
            This rabid anti-China sentiment that has gripped the USA folks these last ~5 years has already become extremely tiresome. Don't buy Chinese products, don't use Chinese tech, don't consume Chinese culture, don't do this, don't do that... They live in their own little bubble and cant' seem to understand that practically no one gives a fk about their Cold War 2.0 other than themselves, even those people who see China as a competitor.

Comment

nginx core developer bitching about a security company (F5) who owns nginx, putting CVEs on their product's code, throws a hissy fit and forks project.

Hell, this is going to make me trust F5 and nginx even more than whatever this fork comes up with.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

The only things stopping me from using Deepin, Ubuntu Kylin and OpenKylin are how 1) DDE still appears to have a mind on its own in Wayland and 2) UKUI is still X-only.

Anything else is not a problem. Actually, my life will be much better under these distributions when DDE and UKUI are finally Wayland-ready, because I understand mandarin and also won't have to keep fighting with how 搜狗输入法 is so obviously made to target only these three distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  You'd think the million dollar legal teams at IBM would have caught that stuff. I wonder if Linus has noticed and just doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds.
                  I remember linked to it in another thread but i can't find it, it said that Linux granted everyone a worldwide, irrevocable license to use the Linux trademark so long as they didn't try to legally contest that he was the rightful owner of said trademark.

Red Hat is a platinum member of the Linux Foundation that contributes at least 500k a year to the foundation, i can't imagine Linus wants to picks fights over something stupid with organizations that have effectively allowed Linux to become what it is today.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
                    What you wrote concerning open source, GPL'd code
                    Do you realize that it is possible, and very easy, for me to release an open source OS that has a backdoor in it, that no one can ever find, because it does not exist in the source code?

You just inject arbitrary code at compile time, so that a review of the source turns up nothing suspicious:

Inject arbitrary IL code at compile time. Contribute to ltrzesniewski/InlineIL.Fody development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I remember linked to it in another thread but i can't find it, it said that Linux granted everyone a worldwide, irrevocable license to use the Linux trademark so long as they didn't try to legally contest that he was the rightful owner of said trademark.

Red Hat is a platinum member of the Linux Foundation that contributes at least 500k a year to the foundation, i can't imagine Linus wants to picks fights over something stupid with organizations that have effectively allowed Linux to become what it is today.
                      I did link to it. It's in the post you quoted, but here it is again.

The gist of it is that "Linux®" needs to be the first way Linux is written on a site, ad, t-shrit, coffee cup, flyer, etc and that the footer, end, etc of a site, ad, product, etc needs to contain "Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries." It's basically what you said, only you actually have to put the legalese on the things you're doing because that's what says you've read Linus's statement and agree to it. Assuming anyone is following those two rules, they have free use of the term Linux.

It's only when Linux is used as a product name that a sublicense has to be applied for. Arch Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux have to apply for sublicenses because they use Linux in their product name which could explain why they don't have to follow the first two rules that us free use people are supposed to follow. That said, it makes me wonder if Arch Linux and Ubuntu have different sublicenses due to how Arch Linux is following both those free use rules; although the Arch wording is different due to them having a sublicense.

"The registered trademark Linux® is used pursuant to a sublicense from LMI, the exclusive licensee of Linus Torvalds, owner of the mark on a world-wide basis."

FWIW, I found Linux® on Red Hat. They sneak it in there so it looks like it applies to the entire phrase, Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®, but I still haven't seen the 2nd phase on their main page like Arch does and the Linux trademark agreement states that they're supposed to do. If you dig into it, they have this page with a generic catch-all similar to what Phoronix has. Ubuntu has one, too.

Still, the rules say one thing and the major players do something different. It's only the little guys that seem to be following the rules as written.

Comment

Working...
                      X