Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core NGINX Developer Forks Web Server Into Freenginx

Phoronix: Core NGINX Developer Forks Web Server Into Freenginx

Maxim Dounin as one of the longtime core developers of the Nginx web server announced the creation today of a new fork of the project called Freenginx...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can Maxim expect F5 to accept his new name and logo? Isn't ngix trademarked?

Comment

Works for free to make bags for a company..?

This change was long overdue

Comment

Email lists in 2024? Hopefully there will be a proper git repo soon..

Comment

Posts on HackerNews from someone who says they work for F5, suggests this is down to F5 allocating CVEs to security bugs, and Maxim not wanting that to happen, with some nuance around the features with the security bugs being experimental in nature.

I'll be honest, I bias towards F5 on this one. They're a CNA meaning they create and manage CVEs related to their products. If they've been shipping software with vulnerabilities in it, that they've been made aware of, *even* if it's in experimental code, there really should be CVEs linked to it, that they create and publish.

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post
            How can Maxim expect F5 to accept his new name and logo? Isn't ngix trademarked?
            He says he's based in Moscow. Good luck enforcing a trademark over there...

Also, assigning CVEs to bugs in experimental branches... that's a little out there.

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

He says he's based in Moscow. Good luck enforcing a trademark over there...

Also, assigning CVEs to bugs in experimental branches... that's a little out there.
                It doesn't read like it's an experimental branch, just experimental code being shipped that isn't enabled by default when you compile. Pass the right flags to ./configure (or whatever tool they're using) and you'd have that vulnerable code running.

Comment

Let's see how this will develop. I'm fine staying right here on the stable version. Worst case I'll move back to the version from the Debian repo. I very much doubt they would keep nginx in the repos if F5 was doing bad things. And if freenginx does have anything going for it, they would probably offer it as an alternative, maybe even convert nginx into a transitional package for it if it comes down to it. Too many people are relying on nginx and not everyone would be able or willing to switch to Apache, lighttp or whatever. But only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
                    Too many people are relying on nginx and not everyone would be able or willing to switch to Apache, lighttp or whatever. But only time will tell.
                    Well I have one data point for you, I switched from nginx to Caddy last year because I really wanted that sweet sweet HTTP/3 which nginx took their good time to implement and I was tired of waiting 💁

Comment

Working...
                    X