MythTV 34 Released For Open-Source DVR/PVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
    Long time user since mid of the 2000s. Cable TV is unencrypted here. I simply record everything that I could potentially would like to watch, so it's basically a private VOD. It integrates very well into Kodi. I even watch Live TV over the MythTV backend, so I'm able to skip ads, rewind or stop and watch later. A DVB-C quad tuner covers nearly all bouquets and is sufficient for the whole family, recordings delete themselves, recording plans with wildcards.... Best thing I've ever installed at home besides Nextcloud.
    I don't want to miss it!
    Much the same here. I record shows for nostalgia, for background drone when a household member needs sound to sleep (for those, I remove commercials using avidemux, then transcode), and have several broad wildcards for PBS shows. I doubt I'll ever run out of content to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
      All this was so complicated compared to now, and accessible content was far more constrained.
      Are you kidding?! Today most of the content is simply unavailable. Not because the paywall, but because it's not being offered in VoD at all!

I got huge lists of great movies, some of which are available sometimes on P2P, but I'm already starting to look for some VHS reader...

Comment

Is a subscription to schedulesdirect still needed for the program data for MythTV? I did get a Myth box up and working in the mid 2000s but it got subverted by a lifetime Tivo unit we still use today.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
          Is a subscription to schedulesdirect still needed for the program data for MythTV? I did get a Myth box up and working in the mid 2000s but it got subverted by a lifetime Tivo unit we still use today.
          For me the program data that comes with DVB is sufficient.
          But you still can feed MythTV with external EPG data if you want.

Comment

I have some old DVD's gathering dust. Mot sure if my DVD player even works, I haven't used it in years. PLEX + a cheap Roku I bought on sale at the grocery store.

Comment

When I first subbed to Netflix, it was like their DVD rental service, you name the movie, they had it available. Same with Redbox streaming.

But over the years the streamers have been reducing their libraries and restricting their access to certain content so they can license it to other streamers.

Sony announced they are going to drop "permanent" licenses to anime content through their purchase of Crunchyroll and raise prices.

https://nerdist.com/article/sony-sun...ased%20content.

This trend to seasonally or periodically restrict access to content will simply push people back into ripping their material for private viewing. Myth, Plex, Kodi, doesn't matter the platform, people will tire of the games streamers are playing to maximize revenue and attract subs and simply do it themselves again.

Comment

Working...
              X