Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 34 Released For Open-Source DVR/PVR

Phoronix: MythTV 34 Released For Open-Source DVR/PVR

In an era of Internet streaming digital video recorders (DVR) / personal video recorder (PVR) software isn't nearly as popular as it was in the past, but the long-used open-source MythTV software is out with its first major update in one year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Watching and recording linear live tv using ip multicast feeds and dvb adapters.
    With a softcam (oscam/mgcamd/cccam) to decrypt them using a pirate keyserver.
    Those were the days...
    Now most people don't give a damn any longer and only watch VOD.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      Watching and recording linear live tv using ip multicast feeds and dvb adapters.
      With a softcam (oscam/mgcamd/cccam) to decrypt them using a pirate keyserver.
      Those were the days...​
      Now most people don't give a damn any longer and only watch VOD.
      Or pirate downloads, but this has the same result in that case : DVR/PVR and DVB adapters, are useless, you just need a NAS, a torrent client and MPV.
      Honestly, I absolutely do not miss those days. All this was so complicated compared to now, and accessible content was far more constrained.

Comment

Blast from the past. I didn't think it was still around, especially when Kodi is so popular.

Comment

If only you could get cable TV that wasn't encrypted this would work great for a cheap way to add a massive DVR to one's system. I was going to go this route in 2016 but right when I got the MythBuntu system configured the cable company announced they were going full encryption.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
            Blast from the past. I didn't think it was still around, especially when Kodi is so popular.
            I've used it continuously since 2004. Probably I'll be sad to see the old MythWeb go away, though, as it was, in v33, much better than the "new" web frontend.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              If only you could get cable TV that wasn't encrypted this would work great for a cheap way to add a massive DVR to one's system. I was going to go this route in 2016 but right when I got the MythBuntu system configured the cable company announced they were going full encryption.
              And that's when I cut the cord and got an OTA antenna. MythTV is also my VOD server for my personally-owned discs.

Comment

Wow, that is still around? Congratulations to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 8-bit memories View Post

I've used it continuously since 2004. Probably I'll be sad to see the old MythWeb go away, though, as it was, in v33, much better than the "new" web frontend.
                  Same here. I've had some form of mythbox in my living room constantly since ~2005. Currently a dual tuner box that leaves one of the tuners so that I can also schedule recordings from Plex (which doesn't do nearly as well at the recording aspects). Both Plex and Myth have full access to my entire digital library.

I still use a wire guard tunnel to connect to mythweb any time I'm on the road and need to schedule a recording I'd otherwise miss.

Comment

Long time user since mid of the 2000s. Cable TV is unencrypted here. I simply record everything that I could potentially would like to watch, so it's basically a private VOD. It integrates very well into Kodi. I even watch Live TV over the MythTV backend, so I'm able to skip ads, rewind or stop and watch later. A DVB-C quad tuner covers nearly all bouquets and is sufficient for the whole family, recordings delete themselves, recording plans with wildcards.... Best thing I've ever installed at home besides Nextcloud.
                    I don't want to miss it!

Comment

Working...
                    X