Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD P-State Preferred Core Support Coming With Linux 6.9

Phoronix: AMD P-State Preferred Core Support Coming With Linux 6.9

Since last August AMD Linux engineers have been working on P-State Preferred Core support for the "amd_pstate" driver so that this functionality can be leveraged under Linux for improved task placement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

v14 patches apply cleanly on top of 6.7.3
    изображение.png

Comment

Looking forward to the benchmarks. Though performance remained unchanged for me with 5700X and some basic browser JS benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        Looking forward to the benchmarks. Though performance remained unchanged for me with 5700X and some basic browser JS benchmarks.
        That is to be expected, you will mostly gain a little more efficiency or slightly more performance (+50 MHz?) but nothing in the realm of being noticeable (that would need at least 20% improvement).

Comment

There is a oneliner by Yuan Perry (AMD), which enables amd-pstate on the older Zen2 threadrippers.
          See: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218171

If this lands together with preferred core support, then these aging threadrippers from the 3000 series should become more responsive because the preferred cores clock a lot higher then some of the other ones.

That's the power of Linux right there!

Comment

Finally.

Comment

I wonder if there's any plan to backport / cherry pick this for ubuntu 24.04 lts which presumably will have the 6.8 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                I wonder if there's any plan to backport / cherry pick this for ubuntu 24.04 lts which presumably will have the 6.8 kernel.
                Don't think so, but I'm personally backporting this since several months and it's worth for energy efficiency on laptops.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Do I combine this with passive/active/guided? And which governor?

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X