Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Squeezes Last Minute Feature Work Into Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Bcachefs Squeezes Last Minute Feature Work Into Linux 6.8

More than one week ago was the main Bcachefs feature pull for Linux 6.8 that included further enhancing the performance and other features of this new file-system merged back in Linux 6.7. Yesterday, just prior to the Linux 6.8-rc1 release, a secondary set of Bcachefs updates were merged for this next kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linus was not amused
    I'm taking this, but only because bcachefs is new.

You need to be aware that the merge window is for *merging*. Not for
    new development.​

And almost all of the code here is new development.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
      Linus was not amused
      And Kent's response here https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/ianqurc...@r3v2ysfo5dqq/ :
      > What you send during the merge window is stuff that should all have
      > been ready *before* the merge window opened, not whatever random
      > changes you made during it.
      >
      > Now, fixes happen any time, but for that argument to work they need to
      > be real fixes. Not "reorganize the code to make things easier to fix"
      > with the fix being something small on top of a big change.

I thought the merge window was still open until tonight?
      ​​
      They just went over with him that they want everything in linux-next before the merge window starts, and somehow kent's not understanding this. Even when linus says *before* (with asterisks) kent is still not getting it. Of course, if and when he figures out his mistake he'll blame lack of documentation. I'll probably wait until 6.10 before all this shakes out and I try bcachefs again. On the plus side, there's already a bunch of people kicking the tires so all the easy to trigger issues are being dealt with.

Comment

Linus was not amused
        Yeah and kent again, failing to acknowledge this in his response to linus:

Originally posted by Kent
        ??
        Didn't linus just state exactly what the merge window is for? So why not be thankful to linus for pointing this out and merging it anyways?
        Nobody gets to be "special" in linux kernel developement. Everybody has to abide certain rules. As much as I love kent and his work, this does seem like an ongoing attitude issue at this point.

Anyways I am hoping ken will recognise this, and I wish the best future for him & Bcachefs.

EDIT: fitzie you got me to it! 😅
        Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 22 January 2024, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Linus was not amused
          Which turned out to be a misunderstanding

People are really going to great lengths to try and dig up dirt on someone they don't like

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Which turned out to be a misunderstanding
            Kent and Linus were talking past each other again. The problem is not that the merge window was closed, but that the changes were inappropriate for the merge window to begin with.

People are really going to great lengths to try and dig up dirt on someone they don't like
            I think it is a shame. Linux and bcachefs are better together, but the developers are wasting a lot of time and energy on their behavior.

Comment

If yall had actually bothered to look at the linux-next merge logs, you'd see Kent Overstreet did place them in the linux-next repository like he'd been asked to do. What Linus is miffed at is there are a lot of them all at once at practically the last minute in the merge cycle. It's not the first time he's taken someone to task for dumping a large or complex code dump at the last minute, unfortunately it won't be the last. Doing something like that violates the "don't be a dick" Thing even when he's 'technically correct'. (NO! 'Technically correct is the best correct' is just a very poor excuse for being a callous jerk, it's not the 'best kind of correct'!) Any competent boss that has to review submissions for his own deadline is going to be miffed at a subordinate dumping an unanticipated big load on him last minute. It's entirely correct for the boss to give the subordinate a talking to. No one functions in a vacuum. Practicing empathy for your collaborative partners isn't an option if you want to remain on their good side (and yes, Linus had to learn this, too.)

Comment

sadly a recent 50% performance optimization did not make this release. https://lore.kernel.org/linux-bcache...ek5vmisbu/T/#t

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Kent and Linus were talking past each other again. The problem is not that the merge window was closed, but that the changes were inappropriate for the merge window to begin with.
                  Actually Kent did submit the changes into linux-next as is expected. The issue seems to stem from the fact that he submitted a big list of changes in last minute before merge window (and according to his latest response he seems to have misremembered when precisely that merge window was).

Anyways this is all hot air.
                  Last edited by mdedetrich; 22 January 2024, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Actually Kent did submit the changes into linux-next as is expected. The issue seems to stem from the fact that he submitted a big list of changes in last minute before merge window (and according to his latest response he seems to have misremembered when precisely that merge window was).

Anyways this is all hot air.
                    I'm surprised Kent failed in that novice way. I tought he already had enough kernel development experience with Bcache and such.

Comment

Working...
                    X