BFQ I/O Scheduler For Linux Sees Big Scalability Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Tell that to KDE Plasma users where the UI stutters or even freezes for a few seconds when there's heavy storage IO!
    Maybe these kind of changes help a bit in those cases too.
    I frequently build Linux kernel in the background with 8, 24, and 32 threads on three different computers, Plasma does not stutter on any of them, no freezes ever.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

I frequently build Linux kernel in the background with 8, 24, and 32 threads on three different computers, Plasma does not stutter on any of them, no freezes ever.
      Yes.

> the UI stutters or even freezes for a few seconds when there's heavy storage IO!

That doesn't happen to me since I bought a new computer (it's using Kubuntu 23.10), although sometimes it happened to me using the old computer, so in that PC I started using the `schedtool -D -n 19 -e ionice -c 3` way that RealNC wrote about (upvoted 27 times at least) on https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...76#post1377776

(we can also see https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg181789.html)​​

Comment

I think it depends on the task.
        For me torrenting like crazy with lots of torrents and folders / files in them everything is ok.
        But if I multiplex 2-3 MKV files into one with MKVToolnix, then I can' even read even read Phoronix as the scroll down stutters like crazy or it just refuses to work for a few seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post

What causes this behavior on KDe system?
          AFAIK, the Kwin compositor does some syncing to the disk and it waits for them to finish.
          What is writing I don't know and I don't know why it's so important that it blocks until it finishes writing the stuff it wants to write.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

This sounds like the core problem is the UI blocking on IO requests when it instead should be asynchronous
            I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I think it depends on the task.
              For me torrenting like crazy with lots of torrents and folders / files in them everything is ok.
              But if I multiplex 2-3 MKV files into one with MKVToolnix, then I can' even read even read Phoronix as the scroll down stutters like crazy or it just refuses to work for a few seconds.
              What is your distro? If you can install deb files and want to try, I can upload my custom kernel for you.

Comment

What is your distro? If you can install deb files and want to try, I can upload my custom kernel for you.
                Danny3

I'm curious about your results. I too sometimes have freezes.
                Maybe this change or if possible a similar one for Kyber, would help us?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Danny3

I'm curious about your results. I too sometimes have freezes.
                  Maybe this change or if possible a similar one for Kyber, would help us?
                  I am not sure if you meant this to me. But please let me know if you want to try the kernel. I am at 6.7.2 (latest stable). If you are not on a recent GRUB version, there might be a problem with EFI handover protocol.

Comment

Working...
                  X