Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ I/O Scheduler For Linux Sees Big Scalability Improvement

Phoronix: BFQ I/O Scheduler For Linux Sees Big Scalability Improvement

Following the work on enhancing the scalability of the MQ-Deadline I/O scheduler, Linux storage expert Jens Axboe has applied similar scalability improvements to the BFQ I/O scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This guy is amazing!
    Congratulations and many thanks to him!

Comment

It's one of those cases that seem too good to be true ... although avg Linux user wouldn't notice prolly.

Comment

In which Kernel are these improvements (on both MQ-Deadline and BFQ I/O) scheduled?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          In which Kernel are these improvements (on both MQ-Deadline and BFQ I/O) scheduled?
          "scheduled"

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
            Keep your eye on https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...alds/linux.git, if it shows up there before rc1 is cut today it will be in 6.8. But probably, I wouldn't expect it before 6.9.

Comment

Nice! Now improve Kyber please.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                It's one of those cases that seem too good to be true ... although avg Linux user wouldn't notice prolly.
                I was going to say the same. A home user won't see much of a change, but this is going to work wonders for servers, which, like it or not, is still where Linux is most widespread. All of a sudden, cloud providers are able to serve the same level of IOPS using half the storage for spreading reads/writes around.
                A welcome improvement nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post

"scheduled"
                  What do you read about "scheduled" word?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I was going to say the same. A home user won't see much of a change, but this is going to work wonders for servers, which, like it or not, is still where Linux is most widespread. All of a sudden, cloud providers are able to serve the same level of IOPS using half the storage for spreading reads/writes around.
                    A welcome improvement nonetheless.
                    Tell that to KDE Plasma users where the UI stutters or even freezes for a few seconds when there's heavy storage IO!
                    Maybe these kind of changes help a bit in those cases too.
                    Last edited by Danny3; 21 January 2024, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X