Linus Torvalds Gets Back To Merging New Code For Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    In all fairness, the secret to having a stable OS ...
    Respectfully disagree. Anything 'connected' is kept as up-to-date as possible. My servers (inner sanctum, only 'connected' for updates) occasionally need rebuilding stuff from source (cough, cough, ZFS) to fix any known bugs, or zero-daze [sic].

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Cool. The sample size of just you is very reliable. Surely the difference between these stats has nothing to do with one having crash data public and not the other. /s

What's it like being dumb, Avis? lol

This is my favorite bug report that apparently you think is representative of an entire ecosystem.

We all know the critical application "thefuck" that ships with Fedora, right? lol

https://github.com/nvbn/thefuck
      Pronounced 'theff-ook'
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        In all fairness, the secret to having a stable OS is to not update anything unless you absolutely have to or an update has been in the wild long enough to have been thoroughly tested.

My tactic is install OS, Windows or Linux, install drivers if needed, install software that i want, disable automatic updates and/or do not update at all.

With Win 10/11 I only install the six month H1/H2 update after it's been out and tested for a few months, with Linux i do not update at all, I just wait until the nest point release and do a clean install.

In the even that the distro I installed did ship with an LTS kernel, I will install the latest LTS.

Every once in a while I decide to try the latest real time kernel build or Liquorix but at that point i have usually made up my mind that I will be doing a clean install anyway.
        For a multitude of reasons, this slimmed down enterprise approach is not feasible to those non-technical left utilising PCs (laptops, NUC, desktops, the works). Generally most people only have one device, and NEED to be connected to submit work.

MS know this, and rely on obfuscating disabling all their telemetrics, which just so happens to be built in to every aspect of their OS, effectively forcing you online unless you know how to do offline updates (and WSUSOffline seems to have gone sleepy as well...any other suggestions?), off utilise firewalls and VPN's and obfuscating your unique identifiers.

I'm hearin' ya, but I think it's probably most readily ad easily done in Enterprise Edition anyways. I have a copy purely because I need it to work when I use it. Every time I use the 'standard issue's, it borks. Again, fr a multitude of reasons.

And yeah, still get BSOD's.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Please ban him, this place is becoming so dirty that it's starting to feel dirty. I sometimes feel bad when staying here in this virtual place.

Please apply strict antitroll policy. Please,Michael
          There's been too much banning, we can't take losing another great poster of avis quality like we lost birdie, may he rest in peace. The tremendous sadness is that avis did not even get to meet birdie before his untimely death.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

There's been too much banning, we can't take losing another great poster of avis quality like we lost birdie, may he rest in peace. The tremendous sadness is that avis did not even get to meet birdie before his untimely death.
            Isn't avis just birdie's new username for ban evading?

Behavior checks out.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post

Exactly. I keep a Win10 machine around (dual boot, ~always runs Linux except at Tax time) just because that's where I run my preferred (i.e., least painful) Tax software. I apply all updates starting early January to give me enuf time to get it working again after it trashes itself from the (barely) tested updates. Gather up my "shoebox" of tax papers on Linux, boot Win10 again (no further updates allowed) when it's time to file. Get my "returns accepted" emails from the tax-men, and shut it down till next year.
              You're an inspiration for all us dual-booters out here.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post

Exactly. I keep a Win10 machine around (dual boot, ~always runs Linux except at Tax time) just because that's where I run my preferred (i.e., least painful) Tax software. I apply all updates starting early January to give me enuf time to get it working again after it trashes itself from the (barely) tested updates. Gather up my "shoebox" of tax papers on Linux, boot Win10 again (no further updates allowed) when it's time to file. Get my "returns accepted" emails from the tax-men, and shut it down till next year.
                If you really need / want this particular software, why not just run it in a Windows 10 / 11 VM? You'd get the added benefit of easy snapshots / rollbacks if anything goes tits up.

Comment

Originally posted by avis

My reliability log in Windows 10 is empty. Zero crashes for any software in over 3 years since installation. You're welcome to connect to my PC remotely and check it.

Fedora reports a metric ton of crashes in numerous core services including the search deamon in KDE for a huge number of users.

How is reporting this fact has become "trolling"? Or anything you don't like is automatically "trolling"?
                  LOL. My windows event viewer has 300,000 errors logged in it. So I guess averaging that out means windows has an average of 150K errors per machine. More than linux seems to.

If you don't think that makes much sense.... Welcome to why people laughed at your original post.

Comment

Here's the summary for Fedora 38 and 39 for yesterday.
                    76,821 crashes of caja on Fedora 38. All in one day. That one poor Fedora Mate user didn't learn his lesson the first 76,820 times.

Comment

My reliability log in Windows 10 is empty. Zero crashes for any software in over 3 years since installation. You're welcome to connect to my PC remotely and check it.

Fedora reports a metric ton of crashes in numerous core services including the search deamon in KDE for a huge number of users.

How is reporting this fact has become "trolling"? Or anything you don't like is automatically "trolling"?

I even added the freaking offtopic flag not to attract your attention and you still got all wound up and angry and willing to ban people just because they report the world not working how you want it to work.

What's next? Banishing people from your country because they don't share your worldview? Or maybe putting them in prison for good measure?

Have you decided what reality must be? On what terms?

The reality is Windows is a quite mature OS which is quite reliable. The website I've provided shows that Linux software, given that Linux doesn't have as much funding as Windows does (I guess it gets at most 1/50 of what Microsoft spends on Windows), is more prone to crashes. So freaking what? Hating me for that? Wanting me out?

I don't understand why Linux users hate those who talk about Linux shortcomings. That won't make Linux better, it only shows you as haters.

Yes, I use Windows a lot less than Linux. But have you seen how many services (read daemons) Windows 10/11 has?

And have you noticed that Windows overall is a more complex OS?

TBO I get nearly zero crashes in Fedora on average. But what caught my eye was the amount of crashes that e.g. the KDE search engine had.

I will try not to invoke any direct comparisons with Windows from now on. I'm tired of being hated so much despite being prominently featured in the kernel development log.
                      My debian stable laptop from work (technically oldstable) now) has gone for 2 years without a single crash or issue. The same can be said for my debian testing HTPC and my arch linux NAS. However, if I leave my windows 10 gaming pc up for more than 2 days the windows UI gets so slow I can see individual frames and stays that way until I force close explorer.exe. To be clear, this is 100% a windows issue and not driver related. Even when the UI is dogshit slow, games and everything else continue to run normally.

I actually agree with a lot of the stuff you say on here avis, especially in regards to the fanboy cancer that is so pervasive here​.

There is nothing wrong with making direct comparisons to windows provided you are comparing apples to apples. Comparing an aggregated database of likely tens of thousands of users to a single anecdotal system is not that.

Comment

Working...
                      X