Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Gets Back To Merging New Code For Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Gets Back To Merging New Code For Linux 6.8

Last weekend the Linux 6.8 merge window was thrown into a mess with Linus Torvalds losing Internet access and electricity during some significant winter storms battling the Portland, Oregon area. After nearly five days without being able to manage the Git merges for the Linux 6.8 merge window, a few minutes ago activity was restarted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by avis
    <offtopic>
    On the topic of code and bugs. Today I've found a beautiful Fedora website which is tracking applications crashes.

Here's the summary for Fedora 38 and 39 for yesterday.

Very intesting stuff or should I say bugfest? In Windows 10 my reliability report is empty. I've not had crashes for months.
    </offtopic>
    This is pure genius. Offtopic comparison of public reports of crashes that an open source project collects across all the different components to one's personal anecdotal unverifiable experience because Windows never openly reports their crashes. So now we can pretend that Windows never crashes.

Comment

<offtopic>
      On the topic of code and bugs. Today I've found a beautiful Fedora website which is tracking applications crashes.

Very intesting stuff or should I say bugfest? In Windows 10 my reliability report is empty. I've not had crashes for months.
      </offtopic>
      I'm very happy for you! Goodbye then, and never see you again! 👋🏻

Comment

<offtopic>

</offtopic>
        Apple to apples?:

One site tracks application crashes across a large user-base.
        You log tracks what? Is it your personal log that looks at your use of some applications across a small number of machines?

I think Outlook fails on one of my co-workers most days, and Word slightly less frequently.

Comment

Quote from him on mastodon: "trying to see how far I can get on the remaining merge window pulls on just battery power. Not very far I bet, but at least something.​"

Staycation: day five.Power still off, but outside is warming up. So now it’s a big ice rink outside with people playing bumper cars with the real things. Not interested in partaking in that particu...

Comment

<offtopic>
            </offtopic>
            Cool. The sample size of just you is very reliable. Surely the difference between these stats has nothing to do with one having crash data public and not the other. /s

What's it like being dumb, Avis? lol

This is my favorite bug report that apparently you think is representative of an entire ecosystem.

We all know the critical application "thefuck" that ships with Fedora, right? lol

Last edited by Myownfriend; 17 January 2024, 06:40 PM.

Comment

<offtopic>

</offtopic>
              Your example is easy to replicate.

Install Windows 10 on a PC. Unplug it from the Internet. Power it off. Leave it in a corner. Congratulations when you power it back on to check if it has any bugs, and then power it back off.

Use Fedora 38 and-or 39 as your "daily driver" and the probably of encountering issues simply appears.

Your example isn't rocket science or even "groundbreaking" or "newsworthy".

Comment

Please ban him, this place is becoming so dirty that it's starting to feel dirty. I sometimes feel bad when staying here in this virtual place.

Please apply strict antitroll policy. Please,Michael
                Last edited by timofonic; 17 January 2024, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  Install Windows 10 on a PC. Unplug it from the Internet. Power it off. Leave it in a corner. Congratulations when you power it back on to check if it has any bugs, and then power it back off.
                  Exactly. I keep a Win10 machine around (dual boot, ~always runs Linux except at Tax time) just because that's where I run my preferred (i.e., least painful) Tax software. I apply all updates starting early January to give me enuf time to get it working again after it trashes itself from the (barely) tested updates. Gather up my "shoebox" of tax papers on Linux, boot Win10 again (no further updates allowed) when it's time to file. Get my "returns accepted" emails from the tax-men, and shut it down till next year.

Comment

In all fairness, the secret to having a stable OS is to not update anything unless you absolutely have to or an update has been in the wild long enough to have been thoroughly tested.

My tactic is install OS, Windows or Linux, install drivers if needed, install software that i want, disable automatic updates and/or do not update at all.

With Win 10/11 I only install the six month H1/H2 update after it's been out and tested for a few months, with Linux i do not update at all, I just wait until the nest point release and do a clean install.

In the even that the distro I installed did ship with an LTS kernel, I will install the latest LTS.

Every once in a while I decide to try the latest real time kernel build or Liquorix but at that point i have usually made up my mind that I will be doing a clean install anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X