Btrfs In Linux 6.8 Transitions Metadata Processing To Using Folios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In Linux 6.8 Transitions Metadata Processing To Using Folios

Phoronix: Btrfs In Linux 6.8 Transitions Metadata Processing To Using Folios

While not as notable as the Bcachefs additions, more work on XFS online repair, and other file-system updates for Linux 6.8, the Btrfs file-system driver changes for Linux 6.8 were merged last week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are Folios a so hot abd interesting?

Why not other filesystems adopt it too?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Folios are, as I understand it, a kind of compound memory page. So instead of dealing with 4KiB pages, larger 'folios' can be used. Saves resources and should be faster. Kind of like hugepages.

Comment

There are performance advantages of using large "page" sizes for some use cases, and folios simplifies that use (so additional performance advantages).

Some have already have (as I recall, XFS starting using folios for a subset of it's operations as part of the first patch series), more are targeted to do so in the future where it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

There are performance advantages of using large "page" sizes for some use cases, and folios simplifies that use (so additional performance advantages).

Some have already have (as I recall, XFS starting using folios for a subset of it's operations as part of the first patch series), more are targeted to do so in the future where it makes sense.
          If I recall correct, ext4 is already using folios

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

If I recall correct, ext4 is already using folios
            And Bcachefs?

Comment

And Bcachefs?
              haven't followed that fs, honestly. I'm not a big fan of its creator (altough I recognize this is not a rational reason)

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

haven't followed that fs, honestly. I'm not a big fan of its creator (altough I recognize this is not a rational reason)
                It seems Folios are used in place of extent buffers, but it's known that the performance can currently drop by a few percent for metadata-heavy workloads. However, large folios aren't yet enabled pending more testing.

I didn't research enough of it.

Comment

Why was this merged with few percent performance degradation? The old model was not even deprecated!

Somehow i get the feeling that this change is needed to push forward their work of finally fixing up the raid hole in the future. But if it's so, it should not be merged before to hide the nastiness the raid hole fix necessitates. Or alternatively, if the "large folio" work coming will fix the performance issue, it should have been merged all at once.

Comment

I'm surprised to hear folios reducing performance. I thought the underlying motivation was to improve it!

Comment

Working...
                    X