Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libvirt 10.0 Released With QEMU VM Migration Improvements

Phoronix: libvirt 10.0 Released With QEMU VM Migration Improvements

Libvirt as the virtualization API/toolkit developed by Red Hat for managing virtualization on Linux is out today with its v10.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

automatic resize of block-device-backed disk to full size of the device
    Uh, I hope we still get an option to prevent this, having this fully automated doesn't sound like a good idea.

Comment

Can we properly snapshot UEFI systems yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Uh, I hope we still get an option to prevent this, having this fully automated doesn't sound like a good idea.
        • qemu: Allow automatic resize of block-device-backed disk to full size of the device

The new flag VIR_DOMAIN_BLOCK_RESIZE_CAPACITY for virDomainBlockResize allows resizing a block-device backed raw disk of a VM without the need to specify the full size of the block device.
        Seems like it just spares you an argument. That being said, I have no idea what that's supposed to do.

You give it either a file on a filesystem, or a partition or a whole disk. What's there to resize? (except of "file on filesystem", but that isn't the case here)

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post
          What's there to resize?
          If you use a Raid or LVM as raw block dev you can increase it's size while the partition layout inside still stays at the old (smaller) size, much like when you do a 1:1 copy from a small disk to a bigger one. You then need to update the partition layout inside the VM to make use of that new space. It's really no problem if you can take your VM down and do it offline but with a running VM it's a little more complicated.

Comment

libvirt QEMU VM

i use this on a system to emulate a windows 11 VM on a fedora 39 device. its a AMD ryzen 7950X3D with a AMD PRO w7900

but only 2D works no 3D acceleration so the AMD PRO w7900 GPU does litterally nothing inside this VM.

it would be nice if AMD could make it possible to use such a GPU also in a VM in Windows 11
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
              libvirt QEMU VM

i use this on a system to emulate a windows 11 VM on a fedora 39 device. its a AMD ryzen 7950X3D with a AMD PRO w7900

but only 2D works no 3D acceleration so the AMD PRO w7900 GPU does litterally nothing inside this VM.

it would be nice if AMD could make it possible to use such a GPU also in a VM in Windows 11
              You'd need gpu pass through or use virgl, though I'm unsure of the virgl support in windows.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
                You'd need gpu pass through or use virgl, though I'm unsure of the virgl support in windows.
                Since I am still learning here, and looking for something similar possibly, asking... I have a desktop PC at work where I am using the iGPU on the Intel CPU, but there is also an nVidia graphics card.

Does GPU pass-through require a dedicated GPU to the guest VM, so in my case the iGPU for the host and dGPU for the guest? My understanding is that is indeed the case, but since still learning asking here for confirmation (or to stand to be corrected!) Of course, I have both the iGPU and dGPU in this particular case, just looking to confirm this is a hard requirement for pass-through (and I assume yes on what I have read, and also logically makes sense if you passing through the whole GPU to the guest - but then again, still learning!)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post

Since I am still learning here, and looking for something similar possibly, asking... I have a desktop PC at work where I am using the iGPU on the Intel CPU, but there is also an nVidia graphics card.

Does GPU pass-through require a dedicated GPU to the guest VM, so in my case the iGPU for the host and dGPU for the guest? My understanding is that is indeed the case, but since still learning asking here for confirmation (or to stand to be corrected!) Of course, I have both the iGPU and dGPU in this particular case, just looking to confirm this is a hard requirement for pass-through (and I assume yes on what I have read, and also logically makes sense if you passing through the whole GPU to the guest - but then again, still learning!)

Thanks!
                  You can also pass through the iGPU to the guest (gvt-d) and if your cpu is gen 10 or earlier you can even pass through a virtual instance of your iGPU with almost identical performance whilst also still using it on the host (gvt-g). There is documentation on the archwiki on how to set up either.
                  Last edited by fong38; 15 January 2024, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fong38 View Post
                    You can also pass through the iGPU to the guest (gvt-d) and if your cpu is gen 10 or earlier you can even pass through a virtual instance of your iGPU with almost identical performance whilst also still using it on the host (gvt-g). There is documentation on the archwiki on how to set up either.
                    Thank you! Just looked up the Arch wiki stuff - looks like lots of good info.

Comment

Working...
                    X