Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.7 Released With Bcachefs, Intel Meteor Lake In Good Shape & Nouveau GSP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

the AUR itself is unsafe, but rather, arch makes it easier to be safe when using these types of things, the majority of AUR helpers allow you to review the pkgbuild before compiling and installing the app
    Let's be honest - users typically are going to reviewing anything. They just install the packages. Compared to what other major distros do for their non official repos, the level of safety checks for AUR is very weak. The biggest advantage AUR has is package availability because it is easy to throw together a package and very little is expected from packagers. They don't have to be reproducible, they don't have to build cleanly in a minimal chroot, they don't even have to build from source - so you can wrap a preexisting binary and so forth. It's pretty much a free for all system with very little state management. None of this can be considered safe.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
      Let's be honest - users typically are going to reviewing anything. They just install the packages. Compared to what other major distros do for their non official repos, the level of safety checks for AUR is very weak. The biggest advantage AUR has is package availability because it is easy to throw together a package and very little is expected from packagers. They don't have to be reproducible, they don't have to build cleanly in a minimal chroot, they don't even have to build from source - so you can wrap a preexisting binary and so forth. It's pretty much a free for all system with very little state management. None of this can be considered safe.
      I would consider something safe as long as I validate at least the script which is easy to do, recommended, and if you don't... well that's on you, and it doesn't randomly break my PC. I have over 200 explicitly installed packages on my machine from the AUR, (I've had it for quite the long time now), and extremely rarely do I experience a breakage, much less so then I encountered package issues on other distros like ubuntu and derivatives and fedora and co. And while Im not claiming my experience is indicative of the overall experience, no experience is with arch, so long as you are familiar with the wiki, the AUR is one of the easiest and most reliable resources for unofficial packages around. well outside of flatpak/snap

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I would consider something safe as long as I validate at least the script which is easy to do, recommended, and if you don't... well that's on you
        Yeah, that's just finger pointing. Not safety.

Comment

I am having a problem with 6.7.0 kernel. AMD GPU driver working with Ryzen 3700U in my Thinkpad E495 is having trouble from waking up from sleep mode. Screen either starts flashing or goes completely dark upon wake up. If I restart the computer, it is fine again until the next sleep/wake up cycle. Another computer with Nvidia GPU using Nouveau driver does not have this problem. I reverted the AMD laptop back to 6.6.10 for now. Just a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Just had a look, the manual was missing a warning in the beginning. This was added years after raid56 support was merged.
            Ok, if I am wrong then by all means I am wrong , but I don't think so - raid5/6 was marked as experimental from the start.

This clearly marks btrfs "raid" 5/6 as experiemntal

Sadly the wayback machine has not cached the status page and/or any other details about this that I spent 5 minutes trying to find.
            So again , if I am wrong then my apologies , but I can't remember that raid5/6 was ever declared "production stable"

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Ok, if I am wrong then by all means I am wrong , but I don't think so - raid5/6 was marked as experimental from the start.

This clearly marks btrfs "raid" 5/6 as experiemntal

Sadly the wayback machine has not cached the status page and/or any other details about this that I spent 5 minutes trying to find.
              So again , if I am wrong then my apologies , but I can't remember that raid5/6 was ever declared "production stable"
              I've looked into the btrfs-progs repo (the old one) and didn't found anything about experimental. Maybe I missed something, so I will take another look

Comment

Working...
              X