Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.7 Released With Bcachefs, Intel Meteor Lake In Good Shape & Nouveau GSP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    I wonder which distribution will add bcachfs as an option for the installation. suse tumbleweed or arch, or gentoo maybe?
    NixOS had this for at least 6 years now

Comment

Originally posted by misuzu View Post

NixOS had this for at least 6 years now
      arch has had it for a while too if you don't mind adding one of unofficial repos that contain a bcachefs compatible kernel like linux-tkg from chaotic aur it isn't a default supported thing, but if you are constricting yourself to defaults, then why even bother using arch in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

arch has had it for a while too if you don't mind adding one of unofficial repos that contain a bcachefs compatible kernel like linux-tkg from chaotic aur it isn't a default supported thing, but if you are constricting yourself to defaults, then why even bother using arch in the first place?
        Because they like what Arch has to provide by default? When talking about what a distro provides, talking about unofficial packages and such is just muddying the waters. What users mean is obviously does the installation by default provide this feature? The answer for Arch is no and that is perfectly fine for a brand new filesystem. Users who want to play with it should just do it post installation.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
          Because they like what Arch has to provide by default? When talking about what a distro provides, talking about unofficial packages and such is just muddying the waters. What users mean is obviously does the installation by default provide this feature? The answer for Arch is no and that is perfectly fine for a brand new filesystem. Users who want to play with it should just do it post installation.
          I disagree with this for arch, a large part of arch, I would say the majority of arch's identity is the freedom and flexibility to not be limited to "Arch's defaults" Arch goes a long way to make sure it has minimal defaults (outside of archinstaller tool which I still believe is a mistake) that aren't simply the "upstream" defaults. And ofc, can't talk about arch without the AUR anyways. I would normally agree with the unofficial stuff, but Arch and it's community is the sole exception to this rule since Arch makes unofficial a part of it's identity.

Comment

I disagree with this for arch, a large part of arch, I would say the majority of arch's identity is the freedom and flexibility to not be limited to "Arch's defaults" Arch goes a long way to make sure it has minimal defaults (outside of archinstaller tool which I still believe is a mistake) that aren't simply the "upstream" defaults. And ofc, can't talk about arch without the AUR anyways. I would normally agree with the unofficial stuff, but Arch and it's community is the sole exception to this rule since Arch makes unofficial a part of it's identity.
            When people talking about what a distro provides, they aren't typically talking about random unofficial third party repos. Arch isn't a special exemption to this basic logic anymore than say Gentoo or Nix is just because users may often choose to install custom things in these distros.

Comment

Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 6.7 development cycle

Looks like some refactoring around the scarlett2 driver was done.

In case you weren't aware, Focusrite are now providing support to Geoffrey for the development of the scarlett2 driver:

This means they provide hardware, support, etc.

It's fantastic to see progress being made on this. It looks like the scarlett mixer is now enabled by default, which is huge!

Comment

When people talking about what a distro provides, they aren't typically talking about random unofficial third party repos. Arch isn't a special exemption to this basic logic anymore than say Gentoo or Nix is just because users may often choose to install custom things in these distros.
                yes and arch provides easy and safe methods to use the unofficial packages : D

Originally posted by wooptoo View Post
                https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_6.7

Looks like some refactoring around the scarlett2 driver was done.

In case you weren't aware, Focusrite are now providing support to Geoffrey for the development of the scarlett2 driver:

This means they provide hardware, support, etc.

It's fantastic to see progress being made on this. It looks like the scarlett mixer is now enabled by default, which is huge!
                the focusrite stuff really is great quality stuff for the price you can get it at, so glad to see these being worked on.

Comment

But does it run on Sgi O2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5dtu5O_-SI and Intel Ia-64 Itanium? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REej2314-lU

Comment

yes and arch provides easy and safe methods to use the unofficial packages : D .
                    Totally different point but nevertheless I don't see how Arch packages are any safer than Nix than focused on reproducibility or Fedora which requires atleast that packages being building from source on a clean chroot. AUR is easy precisely because it requires very little from packagers and you can just upload binary with basic scripts but I don't see how it adds any safety at all. Quite the opposite. If you believe otherwise, I would like to hear a precise technical explanation.

Comment

Totally different point but nevertheless I don't see how Arch packages are any safer than Nix than focused on reproducibility or Fedora which requires atleast that packages being building from source on a clean chroot. AUR is easy precisely because it requires very little from packagers and you can just upload binary with basic scripts but I don't see how it adds any safety at all. Quite the opposite. If you believe otherwise, I would like to hear a precise technical explanation.
                      the AUR itself is unsafe, but rather, arch makes it easier to be safe when using these types of things, the majority of AUR helpers allow you to review the pkgbuild before compiling and installing the app, things like rebuild checker which can be automatically run after every update, and setup to rebuild apps any apps that are needed so on and so forth. If you know how to read the wiki and follow through the documentation steps, you are very unlikely to encounter issues that aren't due to the application in question itself. and this is explicitly how you are supposed to use arch. is following the documentation

Comment

Working...
                      X