Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alacritty 0.13 Released For This OpenGL-Powered Terminal Emulator

Phoronix: Alacritty 0.13 Released For This OpenGL-Powered Terminal Emulator

With all the talk recently around speedy terminal emulator options for Linux, some of you will be pleased to know Alacritty v0.13 has been released to end out the year for this cross-platform OpenGL-powered terminal emulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it still missing a scroll bar?
    Last edited by juxuanu; 31 December 2023, 09:34 AM.

Comment

This version has a noticeable change: "Configuration file now uses TOML instead of YAML", and it can be automatically converted the format by running a command:
      Code:
      alacritty migrate

Comment

Wake me up when we have vulkan support with full ray tracing, DLSS3.5 with framegen or FSR3 with framegen...

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
          Wake me up when we have vulkan support with full ray tracing, DLSS3.5 with framegen or FSR3 with framegen...
          You say that sarcastically but that be cool in a AR/VR space. The rest be using a fast and less demanding console though.

Comment

I hope they've improved on their toml documentation, the yaml to toml transition was a fiasco. Edit: Sadly, there still isn't a config file with all the defaults
            Last edited by ojsl1; 01 January 2024, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I really don't understand the purpose of this. Isn't OpenGL just simply adding overhead? Even back when the average desktop CPU only had 1 core, I don't think this would yield enough of a benefit.

Comment

Why release this at all, since it doesn't support tabs?

Comment

Wake me up when Alacritty has tabs and split views. The author is a big fan of tiling window managers and says it is built for that niche. Hundreds of people have shown interest, and he just isn't feeling it. There is a half-ass way to do it with another program.

Personally I won't touch any terminal program that won't do split views. They are just so much better than tabs or multiple windows.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I really don't understand the purpose of this. Isn't OpenGL just simply adding overhead? Even back when the average desktop CPU only had 1 core, I don't think this would yield enough of a benefit.
                    Compare alacritty to your default terminal emulator when you run e.g. `tree /`. You'll see why some people prefer it.

Comment

Working...
                    X