Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFmpeg Begins Landing Support For AOMedia's IAMF - Immersive Audio Model and Formats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Begins Landing Support For AOMedia's IAMF - Immersive Audio Model and Formats

Phoronix: FFmpeg Begins Landing Support For AOMedia's IAMF - Immersive Audio Model and Formats

Yesterday the initial code for supporting the Alliance For Open Media's Immersive Audio Model and Formats (IAMF) was merged for the widely-used FFmpeg multimedia library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, is this like a new codec or what?
    Does it work with Matroska (MKV, MKA) container or not?
    Or they intentionally made it to not work?
    I'm definitely not in the mood for a garbage container just for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      From what I was able to find it appears to be the open source equivalent of object based audio like DTS-X and Dolby Atmos. I'd never heard of it until this article though, so hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in. It sounds quite interesting though.

Comment

As far as i'm aware it just a container for transporting audio. Currently most amplifiers and tv's can't play back opus, vorbis etc. This might allow amplifiers, tv's, soundbars etc to play whatever audio codec you want if both devices support iamf.

Comment

IAMF is a "container" that, super TLDR, contains multiple audio streams and mixing data to get immersive audio. the spec has support for MP4, and it's likely that MKV could easily add support to it, the audio streams it supports is Opus, Flac, PCM, and AAC. IAMF will decode the sound into a "Immersive audio format"

what is immersive audio? this typically this means a large amount of channels to have speaker positions in a dome around a center point (IE the listener)

I don't know if it natively supports arbitrary speaker positioning (IE decoding the audio into any location in a 3d "spherical" space x,y,z coords) or if it's a set number of speakers, and relying on the speaker system to pan according to it's needs.

Comment

So is this for spatial audio?

UPDATE:

Looks like it is:

Samsung has announced that it partnered with Google to jointly develop 3D audio technology called IAMF, and it will rival Dolby Atmos.

It's good there is an effort to unseat Dolby Atmos.
            Last edited by shmerl; 19 December 2023, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              So is this for spatial audio?

UPDATE:

Looks like it is:

Samsung has announced that it partnered with Google to jointly develop 3D audio technology called IAMF, and it will rival Dolby Atmos.

It's good there is an effort to unseat Dolby Atmos.
              There is a superior codec to dolby atmos - DTS:X. Both are patented though hence why google wanted to make a royalty free standard.

Here is an official link from samsung: https://news.samsung.com/global/inte...dio-technology
              Last edited by hajj_3; 19 December 2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Short memory? https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...90#post1421390

Comment

Working...
                X