No announcement yet.

Power Management Bugs Hold Up Some Linux Laptops Due To Regulatory Requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Management Bugs Hold Up Some Linux Laptops Due To Regulatory Requirements

Phoronix: Power Management Bugs Hold Up Some Linux Laptops Due To Regulatory Requirements

Holding up some laptops from shipping Linux pre-loaded around the world come down to regulatory certifications for power management not currently being met on Linux while working fine on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, shutdown not working properly is certainly a new one.

Comment

Wow, this is ACPI S5 so it means the "fully off" state, except for standby power for BMCs.
      Geez I do wonder why my electronic devices stay consuming energy even in "powered off" mode. Almost like it's doing somthing when off, can you imagine that? Hahahaha.

Probably a consequence of the "smart sleep" Microsoft is pushing? It's sleep mode except your device stays connected to the internet and can act on it's own accord for updates, notifications, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dp_alvarez View Post

Probably a consequence of the "smart sleep" Microsoft is pushing? It's sleep mode except your device stays connected to the internet and can act on it's own accord for updates, notifications, etc.
        Certainly not. "Smart sleep" is just a crappy substitute for S3 (aka suspend to RAM).

Comment

I'm not sure what those requirements are, but one time my Windows box turned itself on from being stone-cold shut down, and it turned out one of the system services somehow turned it on. So whatever those requirements are, they sure as hell don't do anything.

Comment

Gotta luv it when government regulations ruin things for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              No it means the case opps Linux laptop running less on battery than when windows is installed comes a breach of law instead of just a disregard-able bug because is only like 5 to 10% less runtime.

Fun part is in future that regulation can in fact work in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                In this case they actually improve the situation for customers by letting them buy higher quality systems with non-shit firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Certainly not. "Smart sleep" is just a crappy substitute for S3 (aka suspend to RAM).
                  Ah, the "modern" sleep. Another piece of shit feature that won't improve anything at all.

Comment

In this case they actually improve the situation
                    How? So what if a laptop uses more energy. Should be non of the governments business to 'compare' against M$ software running on it. Seems weird to me anyway! Not saying there is a bug... but don't understand government 'regs' for this.

Comment

Working...
                    X