Glibc Is The Latest Open-Source Project Adopting A Code of Conduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glibc Is The Latest Open-Source Project Adopting A Code of Conduct

Phoronix: Glibc Is The Latest Open-Source Project Adopting A Code of Conduct

The GNU C Library "glibc" is the latest free software project to adopt a Code of Conduct (CoC) in aiming to encourage welcoming behavior and less controversy among developers and other stakeholders when engaging this key component to the Linux software ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll get the popcorn

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      I'll get the popcorn
      I consider people who object to simple things like be a decent human being as very suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta
        What if I identify as your boss? Does reality matters or you're living in a snowflake world?​​

A strength of Free Software are skilled programmers with common sense and ideals. Except above it looks ok.
        A boss is a role. Not an identity.

I live in the real world where people meet each other in things like linux software conferences and sexually harassed. I also live in the real world where programmers aren't the only skills that matter. Plenty of people bring other valued skills to the table and much needed in Linux including say people who do usability studies, who work on documentation and translations and so on.

Comment

Get ready for people complaining here that people in a professional environment want others to not be di*ks

Comment

Cheers, GNU, that's one more project I'll never feel obligated to waste time contributing to.

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

I consider people who object to simple things like be a decent human being as very suspect.
            CoCs have nothing to do with being a decent human and everything to do with punishing those who don't signal their virtue hard enough. They're step one in getting rid of everyone useful and turning the project into a social justice advocacy group instead of a C library development group. Look to Mozilla if you want to see the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post
              Cheers, GNU, that's one more project I'll never feel obligated to waste time contributing to.

CoCs have nothing to do with being a decent human
              You weren't going to contribute to Glibc anyway, be honest about it and one should stay away from all the projects which enforce basic decency if you have that mindset. Otherwise they will have to waste time kicking toxic people out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard

Female is a biological fact. Not an identity. Batman is an identity.

And programming skills are the first, last, and only thing that matter in a base C library. Nobody on the planet picks their C library for how diverse the developers are or how nice they are to each other.
                What does your trans obsession have to do with Glibc CoC? And no programming skills aren't the only skills that matter. When toxic developers left glibc, glibc actually gained real contributors. Not people like you who never contribute there anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You weren't going to contribute to Glibc anyway, be honest about it and one should stay away from all the projects which enforce basic decency if you have that mindset. Otherwise they will have to waste time kicking toxic people out.
                  I do stay away from all projects that have a CoC. It's an absolute guarantee that the people on it are some of the most hateful, intolerant, bigoted people on the planet and I choose not to aid them in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post

I do stay away from all projects that have a CoC.
                    Great. You have zero contributions to Glibc before they had a Coc. Why is this a loss for anyone?

Comment

Working...
                    X