Linux 6.8 To Drop The SLAB Allocator, SLUB Optimizations Coming Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Only you are guessing here with your ridiculous ideas like trying to shoehorn mimalloc into the kernel
    You are very confused. I wasn't talking about shoe horning anything into the kernel. You can use LD_PRELOAD​ to selectively opt into it wherever you want.

Comment

Only you are guessing here with your ridiculous ideas like trying to shoehorn mimalloc into the kernel
      It sounds to me like the statement was more just a very easy-to-misinterpret phrasing of "People who want more performance and more security should swap out glibc's malloc implementation for mimalloc".

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

It sounds to me like the statement was more just a very easy-to-misinterpret phrasing of "People who want more performance and more security should swap out glibc's malloc implementation for mimalloc".
        Winner winner chicken dinner

Comment

>Are the slub optimizations security tested? Free/alloc optimizations are scary, without reading the code.
          >>Maybe they should be using https://microsoft.github.io/mimalloc/

How you get that to reference c library allocator is beyond me when the thead topic and message you answer to is talking about in kernel allocator.
          Last edited by varikonniemi; 07 December 2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

>Are the slub optimizations security tested? Free/alloc optimizations are scary, without reading the code.
            >>Maybe they should be using https://microsoft.github.io/mimalloc/

How you get that to reference c library allocator is beyond me.
            Pretty simple. Folks who are concerned about security have alternatives to consider for their own use.

Comment

Working...
            X