Another Look At The Bcachefs Performance on Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post
    It's just that the Linux environment is too fractured.
    Well, at least that has improved a lot, mainly due to systemd.
    systemd, whether you like it or not, has led to a huge standardization in many areas of the core system.

Comment

Originally posted by LtdJorge View Post

Tbh, I have no problem with it having so many uses, I prefer it to having 100 different ways of doing things, and if you don't like one utility, you can choose to not use it.

However, that doesn't mean having multiple choices is bad, in fact I welcome it. It's just that the Linux environment is too fractured. That's why I chose to use Systemd and as many of its tools as I could, for a more integrated and coherent system (then I use Sway, which doesn't integrate anything and makes you pick every piece by yourself unlike a DE, lol).
      If journald was a seperate package that possibly worked on other platforms as syslog replacement you would still have th choice to use it or not but it would just be its own thing. KISS made linux popular for a reason. Now that the linux ecosystem is moving to fractured ecosystems within, whereas before you could just choose between a couple of projects on different tools. The problem is getting worse not less. Isnt redhats biggest partner microsoft? And poeterin is now working for microsoft? And nobody sees the problem with that? Linux is already becoming bloatware and slower every release. No more focus on security either. Linux is the next windows at this rate.
      Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 30 November 2023, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Looks fun but I will stick to ext4 for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by plandream View Post
          Looks fun but I will stick to ext4 for the foreseeable future.
          good luck with bitrotting data!

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            KISS made linux popular for a reason.
            Really? I can think of many things that made Linux popular, but this isn't one of them.
            I wouldn't even agree that it's really part of the core development technique for most tools.
            I mean … one of the core components in the Linux ecosystem was/is X11 and that fails hugely in terms of KISS.

Comment

Wow; PostgreSQL on XFS. Would be interesting to see it on ZFS and FSs from all 5 OSs it has an installer for.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

KISS made linux popular for a reason.
                Knights in Stallman's Service

I wanna Rock and Roll all night
                And compile everyday

Comment

There is this article that I found enlightening about those "advanced" file systems. Ext4 (and previous revisions) never failed me in more than 25 years of Linux use. I would probably try ZFS, XFS, btrfs, bcachefs, etc if I were running a server with very heavy I/O load on the disk for reliability. But ext4 is just fine for a personal development workstation. And, don't ever think one of those advanced file systems can be better than regular backups.

Comment

Nice, but pear vs apple.

Why not a ZFS vs BTRFS vs bcachefs ?

Also it's nice to see these numbers but what happens when data corruption is simulated (i.e. power loss)?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                      There is this article that I found enlightening about those "advanced" file systems. Ext4 (and previous revisions) never failed me in more than 25 years of Linux use. I would probably try ZFS, XFS, btrfs, bcachefs, etc if I were running a server with very heavy I/O load on the disk for reliability. But ext4 is just fine for a personal development workstation. And, don't ever think one of those advanced file systems can be better than regular backups.
                      I have used XFS for years on both work stations, servers and clusters. I moved over to it from EXT4 specifically for some of its more edge case performance. I would say it is definitely on par with EXT4 from a reliability point and edges it out in performance in quite a few use cases.

XFS is no where near as advanced as ZFS, btrfs or bcachefs, but it can be built on top of LVM quite nicely to achieve similar (though clunkier than say ZFS) setups.

Your statement about backups is 100% true and all that matters in the end... the file system on any machine should really just be viewed as the "hot storage" medium of a proper backup tiered setup. Its not hard to build really easy to maintain basic backup configurations these days and yet I have seen whole companies nearly implode because they dont do this!

Comment

Working...
                      X