OpenZFS 2.2.1 Released Due To A Block Cloning Bug Causing Data Corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.2.1 Released Due To A Block Cloning Bug Causing Data Corruption

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.2.1 Released Due To A Block Cloning Bug Causing Data Corruption

Those using OpenZFS 2.2 will want to update to OpenZFS 2.2.1 right away. A block cloning bug was uncovered that is causing data corruption issues for users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oops, OpenZFS doesn't seem so robust...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Yes it is, very much so. And this comes from an btrfs evangelist. But it has bugs like all software that has updates. The important thing is that it was found.... Hopefully before too many got bit by the bug.

This is why Debian for example have a stable repo that people complain it's outdated. And why LTS versions exists.

​Frozen software ensures less risk of hitting bugs like this since it has a lot of use and is well tested... For the most part.
      ​​

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Nothing new! ZFS always had a history of eating data and being unstable.

Comment

Meh! It has been explained to me many times here that Btrfs which I have been using without any problem for over 5 years is not reliable, while OpenZFS is much more reliable and without data loss. The truth from what I see is another...since with Btrfs I have never lost any data, while it turns out that OpenZFS users have lost data. Some say it's a bug and that all software has bugs, fine.... but then stop saying that Btrfs is unreliable.​

Comment

On a positive note, at least this release also includes 6.6 compatibility.
            Last edited by fong38; 22 November 2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

By that superficial standard neither is any FS implementation in existence (not just being actively used, but past, present, and future)

Comment

People tracking bleeding edge software releases found a footgun and now they walk with a limp? I'm shocked, I tell ya. Shocked!

That's how I've been shot by a couple BTRFS footguns. It's what happens when you use rolling release, bleeding edge software. Roll around on the edge long enough and you'll fall in sooner or later.

IMHO, this does highlight that OpenZFS's internal and beta/RC testing might not be as robust as it could or should be.

Comment

Does anyone know how to disable block cloning?

I upgraded to 2.2.1 but block cloning is still enabled, even though none of my pools are using it. The output of "zpool get all | grep block_cloning" shows "feature@block_cloning enabled", not active, and from what I've found that means it's not being used. But I can't find a way to set it to disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    Does anyone know how to disable block cloning?

I upgraded to 2.2.1 but block cloning is still enabled, even though none of my pools are using it. The output of "zpool get all | grep block_cloning" shows "feature@block_cloning enabled", not active, and from what I've found that means it's not being used. But I can't find a way to set it to disabled.
                    Should already be disabled across the board if I understood correctly. Does cp --reflink=always work?

Comment

Working...
                    X