No announcement yet.

Distrobox 1.6 Released For Easily Launching New Distros Within Your Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distrobox 1.6 Released For Easily Launching New Distros Within Your Terminal

Phoronix: Distrobox 1.6 Released For Easily Launching New Distros Within Your Terminal

Distrobox 1.6 released on Sunday for this open-source project that makes it wasy to launch any Linux distribution inside your terminal. Distrobox builds upon Podman and Docker to allow creating containers of the Linux distribution of your choice and for that to integrate nicely with the host environment. With succeeding releases, Distrobox has built up quite an arsenal of features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Distrobox really changed my development environment. Since then my development environment is decoupled from my base system. Even better I can have multiple for testing.

Comment

I didn't know about this. Interesting.

Comment

Spelling error: "that makes it wasy to launch"

Comment

Originally posted by gnarlin View Post
          Spelling error: "that makes it wasy to launch"
          Whoops thanks
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Distrobox is great. The full changelog is quite long. --unshare-netns should hopefully fix Steam containers inability to hit Steam Cloud after a suspend resume due to resolve.conf shenanigans.

Comment

No GUI? The use of the word "easy/easily" (etc) is sadly a little misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Everything is relative. Distrobox and Toolbox are indeed much easier / nicer interfaces than e.g. raw creation in Podman. Distrobox has way more extremely useful features than Toolbox though, and is still "easy to use".

Sounds like you may be interested in GUIs like this...

Keep track of your podman containers. Contribute to marhkb/pods development by creating an account on GitHub.
                Last edited by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx; 20 November 2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Distrobox is genuinely a great tool, I use arch as my main PC, and yeah dep issues can be a hassle some times, and sometimes it's nice to just spin up something packaged for say fedora that isnt for arch (AUR is not omnipotent afterall.)

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    If a GUI is necessary for something to be easy for you, this speaks less about how the word easy is used and more about your aversion to CLI tooling. I myself find CLI tools way easier to deal with then GUI tools. does that make gui tools not easy? no. thats stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X