No announcement yet.

Linux 6.7-rc2 Released: "Slightly Larger Than Average"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe in the notion that "there is no such thing as bad publicity​", take it as a win!

Definition of there is no such thing as bad publicity in the Idioms Dictionary by The Free Dictionary

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
      kent is getting salty.

the generous interpretation is that he wants an independent confirmation of where bcachefs is, performance wise, but it's easy to interpret this as an attack, which kent is well known for.
      I don't know anything about Kent Overstreet or the BcacheFS project so I read the entire posting at the provided link with an open mind.

I seriously question the "salty" comment.

I thought Kent's responses were "measured" (or "terse" if you prefer) and "thoughtfully worded". To be sure, he is probably buried in work and juggling a hundred balls in the air at the same time, so I expected short & to the point responses; I would have probably done the same.

I think the request for "non-Phoronix benchmarks" is quite reasonable. I do not see that as a slam on Michael; quite the opposite. If BcacheFS performs well across a range of benchmarks from a range of benchmark developers, then it is reasonable to conclude that the benchmarks are not favoring BcacheFS in any way. Of course there is nothing to stop the conspiracy theorists on Moronix from going off the deep end; they will do what they do regardless.

To assume any post involving Kent will be "salty" or an "attack" based on his past online postings is quite disingenuous, as if people have already developed an immutable prejudged bias against Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

I don't know anything about Kent Overstreet or the BcacheFS project so I read the entire posting at the provided link with an open mind.

I thought Kent's responses were "measured" (or "terse" if you prefer) and "thoughtfully worded". To be sure, he is probably buried in work and juggling a hundred balls in the air at the same time, so I expected short & to the point responses; I would have probably done the same.

I think the request for "non-Phoronix benchmarks" is quite reasonable. I do not see that as a slam on Michael; quite the opposite. If BcacheFS performs well across a range of benchmarks from a range of benchmark developers, then it is reasonable to conclude that the benchmarks are not favoring BcacheFS in any way. Of course there is nothing to stop the conspiracy theorists on Moronix from going off the deep end; they will do what they do regardless.

To assume any post involving Kent will be "salty" or an "attack" based on his past online postings is quite disingenuous, as if people have already developed an immutable prejudged bias against Kent.
        I agree. I take it as a more scientific: "more data from the interested parties". It's just a concept of independent verification. When the Framework 13 AMD came out, there was a consensus view that the AMD chip provided notably better battery than the Intel chips offered in the same machine. However, there were outlier reviews.

It's just good to get more data out there and see where we can rule out outliers and edgecases.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I think Michael didn't check thoroughly the benchmarking process. I would hope Phoronix gets more financing and get someone to help.
          It's not Micheal's job to dig through config settings for everything he tests. defaults are defaults for a reason, it's what the user is expected to get shipped, And it's micheals job to showcase that, not to be a poster boy for a new toy that you want to showcase. People want to know what they will wind up getting, if bcachefs isn't shipping sensible defaults, the user won't get sensible results. It's as simple as that.

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
          kent is getting salty.
          the generous interpretation is that he wants an independent confirmation of where bcachefs is, performance wise, but it's easy to interpret this as an attack, which kent is well known for.
          I didn't take this as an attack? phoronix is a single source like it or not, file systems need hundreds of benchmarks from a large variety of hardware​​

Comment

Kernel development is expected to be professional and, as a professional developer, I do not see that with Kent. I hope he does not regress.

I don't know anything about Kent Overstreet or the BcacheFS project so I read the entire posting at the provided link with an open mind.​
            So you lack the context as to why Kent is perceived to be difficult to work with. He has received numerous warnings/ultimatums from kernel developers which should only be required for very young people, which Kent is not. This isn't a random hobbyist project, the kernel is a professional product albeit a FOSS one which has many many contributors, however the vast majority of kernel development is funded / professional. Even Linus, who occasionally goes on a rant or similar, is professional 99% of the time.

It's based on months of seeing him act like a child to people who I actually respect. He may improve and I hope he does, but you cannot ignore how he acted and you cannot let him get away with "small things" anymore. The comment he made in isolation is obviously not a big deal at all more of a comment on his behavior as a whole and I have absolutely zero confidence he will remain involved with mainline kernel development. I hope to be wrong.
            Last edited by AlanTuring69; 20 November 2023, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
              So you lack the context as to why Kent is perceived to be difficult to work with. He has received numerous warnings/ultimatums from kernel developers which should only be required for very young people, which Kent is not. This isn't a random hobbyist project, the kernel is a professional product albeit a FOSS one which has many many contributors, however the vast majority of kernel development is funded / professional. Even Linus, who occasionally goes on a rant or similar, is professional 99% of the time.

It's based on months of seeing him act like a child to people who I actually respect. He may improve and I hope he does, but you cannot ignore how he acted and you cannot let him get away with "small things" anymore. The comment he made in isolation is obviously not a big deal at all more of a comment on his behavior as a whole and I have absolutely zero confidence he will remain involved with mainline kernel development. I hope to be wrong.
              kent is rarely the only one involved however, his actions are almost always reactionary there has been many times he has been egged on

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

kent is rarely the only one involved however, his actions are almost always reactionary there has been many times he has been egged on
                That's just cope. You are responsible for your own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

That's just cope. You are responsible for your own actions.
                  He was being responsible, that's why he tried to go around and bypass the people who weren't being helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

He was being responsible, that's why he tried to go around and bypass the people who weren't being helpful
                    Speaks for itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X