Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.7-rc2 Released: "Slightly Larger Than Average"

Phoronix: Linux 6.7-rc2 Released: "Slightly Larger Than Average"

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 6.7-rc2 as the second test release of what will become Linux 6.7 stable around the end of the calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kent is getting salty.

> 10) Anything you think an article about BCacheFS should absolutely
    > mention?

Would personally love to see some non-phoronix benchmarks
    the generous interpretation is that he wants an independent confirmation of where bcachefs is, performance wise, but it's easy to interpret this as an attack, which kent is well known for.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
      kent is getting salty.

the generous interpretation is that he wants an independent confirmation of where bcachefs is, performance wise, but it's easy to interpret this as an attack, which kent is well known for.
      His interactions with other people have been jarring and he doesn't know how to handle criticism or recognition. It's a really interesting project and he's a clearly talented developer but if he wants to remain involved he's going to need to grow up. Most kernel development is done by professionals and there will come a day where people will refuse to work with him.
      Last edited by AlanTuring69; 19 November 2023, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

His interactions with other people have been jarring and he doesn't know how to handle criticism or recognition. It's a really interesting project and he's a clearly talented developer but if he wants to remain involved he's going to need to grow up. Most kernel development is done by professionals and there will come a day where people will refuse to work with him.
        He needs to be a lot more cautious, IMHO.

He seems to have ADHD traits. I have absolutely nothing against it and I know many extremely talented geeks with that disorder, but it requires coping and extreme improvement of impulse control.

I may think certain people are idiots because I'm angry or it's true, but that feedback may not be pragmatic and cause severe conflicts.
        Last edited by timofonic; 19 November 2023, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I'm really waiting for the AMD preferred core enablement (by default of course) and the realtime scheduling patches.
          Hope they'll both land in the near future.

Comment

kent is getting salty.

I prefer the generous interpretation.

It is rational to prefer to have multiple independent tests. In this way, you can have more confidence in the results if/when they agree, and find areas for investigation and clarification if/when they do not.

I would be more suspicious of, "Phoronix has spoken, no more tests are necessary".

Comment

kent is getting salty.

What are you talking about? The entire response was on point and far from an attack. He was not afraid to point out limitations and future improvements. How can you take the phoronix statement in bad faith? Anyone who cares about performance wants as many benchmarks as possible and currently only phoronix has ran bcachefs benchmarks. Is it bad to want more? They might narrow down the performance issues, or trigger more bugs. It is natural to want all the feedback you can get, in order to fix (potential) issues.

Comment

kent is getting salty.

Follow that message thread and you get to an ironic bug report by the reporter where he had his BTRFS volume get corrupted beyond repair while playing around with the pre-rc1 kernel to test bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

Follow that message thread and you get to an ironic bug report by the reporter where he had his BTRFS volume get corrupted beyond repair while playing around with the pre-rc1 kernel to test bcachefs
                  Ironic? It's quite normal, Btrfs is an extremely overvalued filesystem.

An XFS developer already collaborates in Bcachefs, I wonder why.

I think Michael didn't check thoroughly the benchmarking process. I would hope Phoronix gets more financing and get someone to help.

Kent is a bit weird and he needs to learn to be a lot more diplomatic. Sometimes a friendly lie can be better than the pure truth. Another developer may be an idiot, but saying it may be worse than not saying it at all.

Comment

Ironic, as in happening contrary to expected and turning out amusing. When testing bcachefs you would not expect btrfs, the mature COW fs, to get corrupted.

I don't think phoronix did anything wrong with the bcachefs benchmark, he simply ran it with default settings. Now bcachefs has changed the defaults, which probably should have happened before submitting to linux
                    Last edited by varikonniemi; 20 November 2023, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X