No announcement yet.

One Of Ubuntu's Great Features Has Been Broken For One Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I have started before Linux 1.0 with using GNU/Linux (SuSE - then Debian - later Ubuntu {in may case it was
    Xubuntu and later Kubuntu, as the latter was even faster on latest AMD systems}), I compiled mainline kernel
    in the early years.
    With new HW, even HWE is much too slow ... and a pity that Ubuntu is not jumping on rolling release.
    Tracking stable Mesa and latest stable mainline Linux would be a necessity ... and several times given
    by kernel hackers as the best way to stay stable.
    But the desktop is no longer of interest for Canonical ... (maybe some sponsors would be glad
    if Linux is just for servers and toys ...).
    [I know many people are happy with SuSE Leap or Red Hat Fedora - but I would stick to Debian-based
    systems for a lot of small reasons which would hurt to try jump wagons - I would from my experince
    only recommend Ubuntu/Debian/Mint - with clear inficators for preference of one of those.]

As given before, the PPA had been several times dead - unfortunately bug reports and other tries are
    no longer fruitful - Canonical does not work on bugs or any kind of info or feature requests (conderning
    real HWE by following mainline properly - Shuttelworth did lisson in the early days - that is no more).
    When 23.04 was given, I cited the PPA to be broken and think that this is the reason
    for not having capacities to fix it.

But the worst thing is that comunity is gone - and Canonical does not support desktop users.
    It's ok oncerning their money inflow - but a pity for those needing the best desktop experience.
    I am still not ready - but this may be just Debian as in former times.
    But for bug reports, Ubuntu LTS will remain necessary. And using same config as official LTS
    may be regarded as essential to really work on any bug report.
    I did so with RDNA1 and with technical reasoning I got replies - and also some fixes.
    My RDNA3 WS may need more time till I make really use of it - and the missing PPA is just
    unfortunate timing for this.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
      As I have started before Linux 1.0 with using GNU/Linux (SuSE - then Debian - later Ubuntu {in may case it was
      Xubuntu and later Kubuntu, as the latter was even faster on latest AMD systems}), I compiled mainline kernel
      in the early years.
      With new HW, even HWE is much too slow ... and a pity that Ubuntu is not jumping on rolling release.
      Tracking stable Mesa and latest stable mainline Linux would be a necessity ... and several times given
      But the desktop is no longer of interest for Canonical ... (maybe some sponsors would be glad
      [I know many people are happy with SuSE Leap or Red Hat Fedora - but I would stick to Debian-based
      systems for a lot of small reasons which would hurt to try jump wagons - I would from my experince
      only recommend Ubuntu/Debian/Mint - with clear inficators for preference of one of those.]

As given before, the PPA had been several times dead - unfortunately bug reports and other tries are
      no longer fruitful - Canonical does not work on bugs or any kind of info or feature requests (conderning
      real HWE by following mainline properly - Shuttelworth did lisson in the early days - that is no more).
      When 23.04 was given, I cited the PPA to be broken and think that this is the reason

But the worst thing is that comunity is gone - and Canonical does not support desktop users.
      It's ok oncerning their money inflow - but a pity for those needing the best desktop experience.
      But for bug reports, Ubuntu LTS will remain necessary. And using same config as official LTS
      I did so with RDNA1 and with technical reasoning I got replies - and also some fixes.
      My RDNA3 WS may need more time till I make really use of it - and the missing PPA is just
      Pop!_OS is basically Ubuntu with more polish and desktop focus that also happens to ship newer kernels and Mesa releases as they become available.

Comment

Phoronix - where it's easier to write an article than submit an actual bug report 🤣

Comment

It's a handy feature for sure.
          Unlike the cruft that I need to disable every new install of Ubuntu (and I don't mean snap, or at least not only snap), or 3rd party stuff to add to make life easier.
          If it goes away, that's minus one sane convenience feature of Ubuntu.

Guess one could use Xanmod as a drop-in replacement.
          Last edited by mos87; 14 November 2023, 01:39 AM.

Comment

I was used to fetching ubuntu mainline kernels ... until the need of custom parameters. So i created my own kernel compil script.

Some of you know already the tool : KRN -> https://github.com/TNZfr/krn
            Ubuntu mainline kernels are managed in DEBIAN mode : browsing & install

So 6.6 mainline kernels, today :
            xs5Mx9R.png

Comment

And 6.5 series :
              tbWVnua.png
              Last edited by TNZfr; 14 November 2023, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Michael, have you reported it in launchpad?

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                  Michael, have you reported it in launchpad?
                  So Phoronix moves for readability .... If at least it was added, as a comment above, where the link is, what is the reason for the shutdown. You must not take up blindly information from such websites today. Unfortunately, we have to check the information separately, instead of the author to put the link to the article. But that would probably not be such a sensation and so much was not discussed = less money.​

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                    in the early years.

It has no head or heel. So I have older hardware and it runs better than ever. Even around people praise upstream.​
                    And where did you find that Canonical does not support the desktop?​

I see. New Hate Account.​
                    Last edited by Rovano; 14 November 2023, 06:50 AM.

Comment

so much hate, this is bug most likely and it will be resolved, not the first it happens and ubuntu cares about desktop

Comment

Working...
                      X