Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.7 MM Brings Performance Optimizations, Better Handling For Unaccepted Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.7 MM Brings Performance Optimizations, Better Handling For Unaccepted Memory

Phoronix: Linux 6.7 MM Brings Performance Optimizations, Better Handling For Unaccepted Memory

Andrew Morton last week sent out all of the memory management "MM" changes for the Linux 6.7 kernel for which there is a lot of code churn...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome changes, love seeing performance optimizations!

I tried using Brave Browser with 2 different OS on the same computer (Quad Channel DDR4@2133MHZ + 5950X), Windows LTSC and Arch Linux. The difference in how fast pages opens is ridiculous, Linux is instant while Windows is clearly "thinking" a lot more.

Fast forward and I got another computer with DDR5@6000 + 7900X which made Windows LTSC perform as good as Arch Linux did in the previously mentioned setup.

Sure, this test is anecdotal but I wonder how big role memory performance plays.

Edit: English is hard, corrected a typo!
    Last edited by Kjell; 09 November 2023, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      (Quad Channel DDR4@2133MHZ + 5950X)
      Is there some special mod/trick to get quad channel with the 5950X? Because the hardware (I/O-die) does only come witch dual channel.

Windows will always feel much slower because it has a shit load of crapware, spyware and useless background tasks that all constantly analyses your every click and movement and sends all your private data to MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        Awesome changes, love seeing performance optimizations!

I tried using Brave Browser with 2 different OS on the same computer (Quad Channel DDR4@2133MHZ + 5950X), Windows LTSC and Arch Linux. The difference in how fast pages opens is ridiculous, Linux is instant while Windows is clearly "thinking" a lot more.

Fast forward and I got another computer with DDR5@6000 + 7900X which made Windows LTSC perform as good as Arch Linux did in the previously mentioned setup.

Sure, this test isn't anecdotal but I wonder how big role memory performance plays.
        Yes it is. That's literally anecdotal.

anecdotal -- adjective -- (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.​

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Is there some special mod/trick to get quad channel with the 5950X? Because the hardware (I/O-die) does only come witch dual channel.

Windows will always feel much slower because it has a shit load of crapware, spyware and useless background tasks that all constantly analyses your every click and movement and sends all your private data to MS.
          4 sticks, dual channel and assuming that's quad channel is my assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Windows is slower not only because of crapware and spyware. It's design.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I work in IT and whenever the team across the hall would provision new computers, you'd hear nonstop, loud
              "HIIIII!!!! IM CORTANA!!!"
              *Blah blah blah*
              "A little wifi here and a little wifi there!"

Just an endless pre-recorded rant that made everyone crazy.

Of course, that is something you can interrupt once it starts, but I don't blame the techs for missing a few mutes when they had to ship out a bunch of new laptops that morning.

I feel like MSFT thinks every little thing they do is handed down from the gods for humanity and we should all be grateful. Even from the way they talk about their ads and telemetry.
              Last edited by Mitch; 09 November 2023, 04:57 PM.

Comment

"4 sticks, dual channel and assuming that's quad channel is my assumption."

When you assume, you make an ass out of you and... yourself?

The poster didn't say how much RAM (or even whether both pairs have the same JEDEC/XMP settings) or we could take a guess as to whether those are single or double-ranked DIMM's - but sticking four single-ranked DIMM's in a [dual channel] Ryzen system can overcome the slowdowns inherent in using all four slots.

I very much doubt he's got that shit properly optimized or even running at 1:1 but DDR4-2133 translates to a rather miserable 133mhz x16; life begins at DDR4-3200.

My own 5800x is currently running 1:1 @ DDR4-3800 (albeit only at shit-ass CL18 since I've got no B-Die at the moment).
                Last edited by Type44Q; 09 November 2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Type44Q View Post
                  "4 sticks, dual channel and assuming that's quad channel is my assumption."

When you assume, you make an ass out of you and... yourself?

The poster didn't say how much RAM (or even whether both pairs have the same JEDEC/XMP settings) or we could take a guess as to whether those are single or double-ranked DIMM's - but sticking four single-ranked DIMM's in a [dual channel] Ryzen system can overcome the slowdowns inherent in using all four slots.

I very much doubt he's got that shit properly optimized or even running at 1:1 but DDR4-2133 translates to a rather miserable 133mhz x16; life begins at DDR4-3200.

My own 5800x is currently running 1:1 @ DDR4-3800 (albeit only at shit-ass CL18 since I've got no B-Die at the moment).
                  Two assumptions make a fact. It's very similar to how two wrongs make a right.

I've seen enough posts over the years that I'll assume someone is equating 4 sticks to quad channel...or maybe dual rank dual stick.

Or it could be like back in the day...up to 2020...how my dual CPU Westmere system had 6 sticks of 8gb DDR3 1333 ECC. After a few shots of whiskey I'd go from having triple channel memory to hex channel memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Nah, NTFS is slower than ext4 at least to the extend where you notice it without a benchmark. But if you have time and knowledge, you can disable all the MS background voodoo and CPU or GPU limited scenarios will run as well as under Linux (provided you have enough RAM for Windows). It just gets harder and harder to disable all that stuff, under W7 it was easy but for W11 I don't even know if you can do it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X