No announcement yet.

Trying Out & Benchmarking Bcachefs On Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't take over one second to start xterm from an SSD on btrfs.

This has been clarified by Michael. Lots of io happening simultaneously in background.
    Last edited by Etherman; 05 November 2023, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

I can read it. So there isn't any paywall
      You are right. Seems because I was Kent's backer for some time, now patreon does not allow me to open any of his post before I'll fix my payments. After logging out I can read his posts again.
      Last edited by Khrundel; 05 November 2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

> tuned configurations, multi-drive, etc

Yes; HDD in RAID 10 with SSD cache.

Comment

thanks,

a remark, single disk benchmark is not really used in production anywhere.
          Those FS are not used for workstation so the least would be to test in raid1 situation or raid 10.

best regards,
          Ghislain.

Comment

Originally posted by gadnet View Post
            thanks,

a remark, single disk benchmark is not really used in production anywhere.
            Those FS are not used for workstation so the least would be to test in raid1 situation or raid 10.

best regards,
            Ghislain.
            I disagree, that's like saying btrfs single disk is not used in production. I am highly anticipating using bcachefs everywhere, including single disk partitions. however as we see in reality, btrfs is used everywhere from single disk to large disk arrays. I myself will be running bcachefs on single drive systems

Comment

Originally posted by User1239939 View Post
              Kent just replied in a post on his Patreon page to these Phoronix benchmarks.
              OH, good. That's why i made my first comment with a conditional that i hope it's something to do with configs, not fundamental. And it indeed seems the comparison was apples to oranges due to debug feature defaulting to on..

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I disagree, that's like saying btrfs single disk is not used in production. I am highly anticipating using bcachefs everywhere, including single disk partitions. however as we see in reality, btrfs is used everywhere from single disk to large disk arrays. I myself will be running bcachefs on single drive systems
                well, i am more a server person so i am biased.
                btrfs does not support encryption either which is quite mandatory on any workstation being desktop or even more laptop so if you add an encryption layer you will have really bad perf out of this. Anyway this is possible but anyone has his minimum features list.
                I wanted to use btrfs for my workstation but full disk encrypion is an issue. Installer support is another.

All in all we have 42 solutions but non of them are "good enough" for some basic workstation need ...or a server... So we stick to the 1990 solution, ext4/xfs+mdadm(+luks), i hope btrfs or bcachefs can both come with the FD encryption , raid support and normal performance soon. (i know ZFS but it is not mainline and my test on a backup server where horrible in perfs).

I wish all the luck to bcachefs and btrfs future.

Regards,
                Ghislain.

Comment

- CONFIG_BCACHEFS_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS no longer defaults to y, a big
                  performance improvement on multithreaded workloads​
                  At least this issue is now fixed.

Comment

I don't understand why it's interesting to test the speed of different filesystems. With NVME SSD storage, what does it matter? They are all plenty fast. Shouldn't you pick a filesystem based on its features, ease of use for common use cases?

Comment

In desktop use it mostly does not matter. But if you can run your fileserver 10% faster you need only 10 servers instead of 11 to do same workload.

Comment

Working...
                      X