Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out & Benchmarking Bcachefs On Linux 6.7

Phoronix: Trying Out & Benchmarking Bcachefs On Linux 6.7

The biggest surprise this week so far with the Linux 6.7 merge window has been the landing of the Bcachefs file-system. Here is an early look at Bcachefs with Linux 6.7 and some preliminary benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was really hoping the next round of FS benchmarks would include ZFS
    Last edited by Kjell; 03 November 2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      Was really hoping the next round of FS benchmarks would include ZFS
      OpenZFS doesn't build against Linux 6.7 git yet.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Moral of the story: When in doubt, pick XFS.

Here's to hoping Bcachefs becomes more performant.

Could this be just a case of less testing without compression enabled in regards to Bcachefs? I noticed that no compression was enabled. Perhaps LZ4 as the foreground compressor could affect things?
        Last edited by skeevy420; 03 November 2023, 12:38 PM.

Comment

that's some brutal fio results, but those were all direct io, which isn't typical of most applications. clearly bcachefs isn't optimized for those apps just yet. I know it seems pointless to add buffered fio tests, but I think it's more typical and I'd guess it would should a much more closer results. i would like to have seen those.

Comment

Sounds like either you were formatting nvmeX rather than a namespace nvmeXnX, or you might have a bad block on your shiny u.3 drive. Does SMART have anything to say?

Comment

BTRFS needs 1s to start xterm? 3 to start gnome-terminal? Both are <1s on BTRFS for me. (And I don't usually use both, so they weren't already cached and I'm on a 3yo medium end NVMe)

*edit* Michael clarified that there is a background I/O Mix running while performing the startup measurements. Of course I didn't test with that, so my results are obviously better. Thanks Michael
              Last edited by Mathias; 03 November 2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

What we can see from benchmarks is that ext4 is currently far better than btrfs in performance matter.

Comment

I was waiting for benchmarks for the new scheduler, but anyway, thanks for the benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                    Sounds like either you were formatting nvmeX rather than a namespace nvmeXnX, or you might have a bad block on your shiny u.3 drive. Does SMART have anything to say?
                    I was trying it both ways when fiddling around with what the error might be. No smart errors and all other file-systems work fine.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X