Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysctl With Linux 6.7 Continues Work To Remove Kernel Bloat

Phoronix: Sysctl With Linux 6.7 Continues Work To Remove Kernel Bloat

Since Linux 6.6 we've been seeing work upstreamed for sysctl working to remove its sentinel, the final empty element on each sysctl array. This will cut-down on around 64 bytes of bloat per array, help with kernel build times, and an all-around improvement. With Linux 6.7 more of the sysctl changes are ready and hopefully for the v6.8 kernel cycle next year the effort will be completed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Benchmarks?
      I expect the kernel will get several kilobytes smaller (64 bytes * a few hundred instances of the pattern).

Build time will probably technically be smaller, but I would guess the difference is in the measurement noise.

Also there are many other changes also going into these kernel versions, so good luck untangling the effects.

EDIT: I think I see where Michael got the build time thing from:

The preliminary math is showing this will all help reduce the overall build time size of the kernel and run time memory consumed by the kernel by about ~64 bytes per array where we are able to remove each sentinel in the future.
      ​​​
      Thay says "build time size", which is quite different. Quote is from the email that Michael quoted in the original article on this effort.
      Last edited by Vorpal; 02 November 2023, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X