GNU Linux-libre 6.6-gnu Released For Those Wanting A Stripped Down Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    He just has not a modern newer gen AMD / Intel / Nvidia Cpu.I think even my Thinkpad x220 still runs with it. Or he don't uses a display-manager.
    Linux-libre works fine with relatively new hardware in my experience. I'm using a 2019 system right now and I've been using it with Linux-libre since I first got it. Bluetooth and wireless won't work without adding proprietary firmware, so you end up getting Atheros USB wifi dongles from eBay for $10-$15 which work without adding any non-free bits.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

He just has not a modern newer gen AMD / Intel / Nvidia Cpu.I think even my Thinkpad x220 still runs with it. Or he don't uses a display-manager.
      Do you mean that some older graphics hardware doesn't require proprietary firmware in order to work?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

How do you get your graphics drivers working without their required firmware?
        Nouveau works well without firmware up to GeForce 600 (and is ultimately the future for cards where nvidia's drivers are deprecated).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Do you mean that some older graphics hardware doesn't require proprietary firmware in order to work?
          How do you boot into the UEFI configuration on your computer if firmware is needed?

If all you do is run a 1080p desktop, you're functional without firmware. I'd prefer if the firmware were installed personally (especially CPU vulnerability fixed)
          Last edited by OneTimeShot; 30 October 2023, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
            I am bit surprised they don’t drop drivers for hardware that has built in microcode such as AMD & Intel’s cpus.
            I gave up pn Etch-A-Sketch CPUs many decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Nouveau works well without firmware up to GeForce 600....
              And in my experience that's about all Nouveau is good for.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Linux-libre works fine with relatively new hardware in my experience. I'm using a 2019 system right now and I've been using it with Linux-libre since I first got it. Bluetooth and wireless won't work without adding proprietary firmware, so you end up getting Atheros USB wifi dongles from eBay for $10-$15 which work without adding any non-free bits.
                X should not work, at least my AMD Ryzen APU doesn't work with linux-libre and X.

Comment

The best part about Linux is that you can remove whatever you want, like removing critical drivers or uninstalling your audio subsystem. Linux is so powerful I can even uninstall my package manager! What can't you do with it? No wonder everyone is raving about it.

Oh wait you can't uninstall Xorg yet, never mind.

Comment

Um. Fine. No blobs. But outside of the Raptor systems, there's very few computers out there that don't have closed firmware. You're spinning your wheels with no practical effect and likely have firmware that has holes in it big enough to drive a Mac truck through them because you're too bloody stubborn to update them even though the original firmware is just as opaque as the new. Your logical contradiction doesn't win anyone in the telling. It's not about security. It's about a political agenda, and an ineffective, hypocritical message at that.

If you're wanting to be a champion for open hardware and firmware, buy something that's actually open like a Talos workstation, and not just making feel good platitudes by yelling "Look ma, no blobs!" especially when your system is littered with them - even if you're using Libreboot because there's more to a system's firmware than the boot code.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                      I am bit surprised they don’t drop drivers for hardware that has built in microcode such as AMD & Intel’s cpus.
                      they really should, but they won't. Linux-libre is just for people who don't know any better to not feel bad about all the closed-source software ("firmware"/"microcode") they're running.

Comment

Working...
                      X