GNU Linux-libre 6.6-gnu Released For Those Wanting A Stripped Down Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 6.6-gnu Released For Those Wanting A Stripped Down Kernel

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 6.6-gnu Released For Those Wanting A Stripped Down Kernel

Following the Linux 6.6 release, the GNU FSFLA folks are out with their GNU Linux-libre 6.6 downstream that strips out support for proprietary kernel modules, code considered non-free, and other de-blobbing activities in the name of software freedom...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Always knew Bob was evil

Comment

It's not a stripped down kernel, its if anything a neutered kernel

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        And yet, I'm running it right now and all is performing as expected. Very odd that a neutered kernel would function so well.

Comment

I am bit surprised they don’t drop drivers for hardware that has built in microcode such as AMD & Intel’s cpus.

Comment

I love this. It helps to remind of us "problems". The need for true openness is real. As long as we are dependent on closed "things", the main reasons for FOSS get lost.

Some may disagree with that, but realize the vision of using software unrestricted depends on a free-er solution.

And, as weird as it sounds, it would likely lead to an explosion in revenue for the companies holding onto closed IP. But, managing billions is arguably harder than millions.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              When you wash dog shite off your boots, do you really call them neutered afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

And yet, I'm running it right now and all is performing as expected. Very odd that a neutered kernel would function so well.
                How do you get your graphics drivers working without their required firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

He just has not a modern newer gen AMD / Intel / Nvidia Cpu.I think even my Thinkpad x220 still runs with it. Or he don't uses a display-manager.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
                    Never even thought about it to be honest with you. I'm not a gamer or a media creator, I've been using Intel integrated graphics for ages. It just works with Linux-libre. And you can still install firmware - it's just that if you are going to install proprietary firmware then it would be kind of pointless to be using a Linux-libre kernel. Some proprietary firmware might not work properly at all with a Linux-libre kernel, I don't know, I haven't bothered to try.

Comment

Working...
                    X