Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.6-rc6 Released: Plan For 6.6 Stable In Two Weeks

Phoronix: Liux 6.6-rc6 Released: Plan For 6.6 Stable In Two Weeks

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 6.6-rc6 and expressed his intention of releasing Linux 6.6 stable in two weeks unless anything wild happens as we approach the end of this kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dang. If Torvalds could have released it just 2 days ago, it would be kernel 6.6RC6 released Friday the 13th of October.

The 6.x kernel series has been particularly exciting. I'm looking forward to the scheduler enhancements of 6.6 among other things. I think Kent Overstreet will also be submitting a PR for BCacheFS once 6.7's submissions open up
    Last edited by Mitch; 16 October 2023, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Typo: c “having problems at shuwdown” “having problems at shutdown”

Comment

I see Linus is a man of culture

Comment

Stick it in a time machine and send it back about 13 years. It would have been a perfect kernel for the "Ubuntu Satanic Edition" (or for the far more scarier Ubuntu Hannah Montana spin).

Comment

6.7 will be LTS? The dates and number of releases between LTS versions make me suspicious.

Comment

I was keeping this for 6.6.6 release, but they ruined it all for a mere 6.6rc6 :/

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post
                6.7 will be LTS? The dates and number of releases between LTS versions make me suspicious.
                The last release of the year are usually picked to be LTS. So it's most likely going to be 6.6. It takes 10-11 weeks from merge window open to stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                  Dang. If Torvalds could have released it just 2 days ago, it would be kernel 6.6RC6 released Friday the 13th of October.

The 6.x kernel series has been particularly exciting. I'm looking forward to the scheduler enhancements of 6.6 among other things. I think Kent Overstreet will also be submitting a PR for BCacheFS once 6.7's submissions open up
                  that should be fun. he did collect a NACK since the last attempt so there's a chance for more fireworks. it seems he's on vacation at the moment, hopefully he returns before to deal with it (and to update his linux-next branch which is missing several fixes before he disappeared. I suspect it will get in this time but not without drama.

Comment

next lts and ubuntu 24.04 kernel

Comment

Working...
                    X