Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Makes A New Open-Source AI Software Acquisition

Phoronix: AMD Makes A New Open-Source AI Software Acquisition

It was just a few weeks ago that AMD acquired AI software company Mipsology to help their AI software efforts on FPGAs. Today AMD announced another notable AI software acquisition: open-source AI software vendor Nod.ai...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be nicer if they allowed arbitrary cards - including gaming cards - to the used for ROCm, like NVidia does.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
      That would be nicer if they allowed arbitrary cards - including gaming cards - to the used for ROCm, like NVidia does.
      Yeah that's a real bummer, especially because it makes sense try to compete with CUDA in every way but I think they will hopefully get a whip of wisdom from their own OpenSIL not letting out Ryzen Desktop. I think ROCm simply isn't built-up yet and not ready for primetime practical use so hence limited support, perhaps this is a good thing for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Retramon View Post

Yeah that's a real bummer, especially because it makes sense try to compete with CUDA in every way but I think they will hopefully get a whip of wisdom from their own OpenSIL not letting out Ryzen Desktop. I think ROCm simply isn't built-up yet and not ready for primetime practical use so hence limited support, perhaps this is a good thing for the time being.
        Yep and, to be fair, CUDA has almost 10 years on ROCm.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
          Get that possibility out of your head, it would be nice but rocm is not for those with hope.

Comment

Maybe I should announce an AI startup, make the rounds of various conferences, get one round of angel funding and then sell myself off. It seems to be the "in" thing to do right now.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
              Maybe I should announce an AI startup, make the rounds of various conferences, get one round of angel funding and then sell myself off. It seems to be the "in" thing to do right now.
              Nod.ai's SHARK framework is, as far as I know, still the fastest way to run Stable Diffusion on AMD GPUs. And its free.

I dunno if they're directly making contributions to IREE/MLIR as well, but if they are, its probably one of the best acquisitions AMD could make... As long as AMD doesn't disrupt that work. They are sustainably chipping away at the CUDA moat.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 12 October 2023, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X