Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incus 0.1 Released As Linux Containers' Fork Of LXD

Phoronix: Incus 0.1 Released As Linux Containers' Fork Of LXD

Back in August Linux Containers forked the LXD project as Incus following Canonical's decision to take in control of LXD. Released this weekend was the first formal release for the Incus software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent news! I really hope it surpasses LXD. It's a very interesting project.

And Canonical sucks, that's another good reason. Canonical deserves to fail and get bankrupt, it's one of the worst Linux cancers.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Excellent news! I really hope it surpasses LXD. It's a very interesting project.

And Canonical sucks, that's another good reason. Canonical deserves to fail and get bankrupt, it's one of the worst Linux cancers.
      I think it's unfair to write off Canonical so harshly. I personally may also disagree with their handling of LXD amongst some other projects, but Canonical has been the single largest force for Desktop Linux since its inception and is the basis for a myriad of other distros for good reason.

They're certainly no cancer and have a net positive impact on the community, though I also wish it was even better.

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

I think it's unfair to write off Canonical so harshly. I personally may also disagree with their handling of LXD amongst some other projects, but Canonical has been the single largest force for Desktop Linux since its inception and is the basis for a myriad of other distros for good reason.

They're certainly no cancer and have a net positive impact on the community, though I also wish it was even better.
        Canonical used to have a positive impact on desktop Linux. Now they mostly coast or actively make things worse. Exactly like cancer, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post

Canonical has been actively fighting the Linux ecosystem to make their own macOS-style walled garden. If you want a corporation to root for, go for Valve. Canonical has become nothing more than a corporate zombie feeding off the brains of the ecosystem.

Comment

According to a blog I read on the Linux Mint forums from one of the lead developers, the main reason for spinning out a Debian version was primarily due to moves made by Canonical over the last several years that were not in the best interest of Linux. The most obvious is the walled garden approach to software distribution as well as the new projects that eventually fall by the wayside. I have been a long time user of Linux Mint and Debian I recently downloaded LMDE 6.0 which i very much look forward to trying out soon.

Comment

Absolutely stupid comment, Ubuntu is the nearly only free linux distribution a company can use today, regularly updated for free. Bring your hate somewhere else.

Comment

This was a missed opportunity to call the project grinchgotts - none a safer place for your containers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Canonical has been actively fighting the Linux ecosystem to make their own macOS-style walled garden. If you want a corporation to root for, go for Valve. Canonical has become nothing more than a corporate zombie feeding off the brains of the ecosystem.
                  It's really sad though. I didn't have internet access and Ubuntu shipit CDs made me a huge fan. People donating CDs almost anywhere on the planet. I used to be a big Ubuntu fanboi. I went to Ubuntu LUGS every single time and helped a lot of people get on board. Around 2011 when I got broadband internet (ADSL) I was very active in Ubuntu IRC and forums. That was the O.G. Ubuntu that suited it's name and slogan.

Ubuntu from 2013 has been a downwards spiral. Most notably Amazon spyware in the start menu and currently vendor lock-in via Snap. Ubuntu works well if you don't care about open source, but then you might just as well use Windows or macOS. Luckily there are many alternatives like PopOS, Mint and g'old Debian

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

It's really sad though. I didn't have internet access and Ubuntu shipit CDs made me a huge fan. People donating CDs almost anywhere on the planet. I used to be a big Ubuntu fanboi. I went to Ubuntu LUGS every single time and helped a lot of people get on board. Around 2011 when I got broadband internet (ADSL) I was very active in Ubuntu IRC and forums. That was the O.G. Ubuntu that suited it's name and slogan.

Ubuntu from 2013 has been a downwards spiral. Most notably Amazon spyware in the start menu and currently vendor lock-in via Snap. Ubuntu works well if you don't care about open source, but then you might just as well use Windows or macOS. Luckily there are many alternatives like PopOS, Mint and g'old Debian
                    What's worse, they are in a constantly downwards spiral. These day they have a big Microsoft affair, with WSL and JuJu as excuse.

IMG-20231009-WA0000.jpg

Learn how Canonical raised awareness of Juju, its open-source cloud orchestraion management tool, with Microsoft Go-To-Market Services.

OIG (27).jpg (funnily accudentally generated mage by Bing Chat, typo done by that crappy dyslexic tool)
                    Last edited by timofonic; 09 October 2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X