Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real-Time "RT" Patches Updated Against Linux 6.6 Git

Phoronix: Real-Time "RT" Patches Updated Against Linux 6.6 Git

Still not over the finish line for the mainline Linux kernel are the real-time "RT" patches but it continues inching toward that long-awaited goal. Out today is v6.6-rc1-rt1 as the real-time kernel patch series updated against the initial Linux 6.6 Git state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was only going to take a few months, they said... I've been waiting since 2019 XD

That said, the patchset has shrunk a lot by now, and once printk is in for it's entirety there will be only a handful non-trivial patches left. I remain optimistic but cautious

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
      It was only going to take a few months, they said... I've been waiting since 2019 XD

That said, the patchset has shrunk a lot by now, and once printk is in for it's entirety there will be only a handful non-trivial patches left. I remain optimistic but cautious
      Linux equivalent of soonTM*

Comment

Originally posted by Errinwright View Post

Linux equivalent of soonTM*
        Also related to “end of Q3 next year”

Comment

Can anyone make a RT patches count and statistics with graphs to see how are they reduced? Please...

I want RT patches get totally merged someday, better if ASAP. I think this deserves more effort, it could benefit Linux more than people think.

LWN.net: A discussion on printk()

Jake Edge summarizes the discussion around printk() in a LWN.net article https://lwn.net/Articles/909980/. It is the last core piece needing changes before the RT_PREEMPT patches can be fully merged.
          Last edited by timofonic; 13 September 2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I remember back when this patch set was maintained by Robert Love and Ingo Molnar... The time between the first linux kernel release and the first RT patch set is almost half of the time between the first RT patch set and now.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

At least it's not in the wayland space-continuum where soon means 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

At least it's not in the wayland space-continuum where soon means 15 years.
                I am using Wayland every day, it works great. I love my GNOME desktop on Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I am using Wayland every day, it works great. I love my GNOME desktop on Wayland!
                  That's not the point... Name a user-visible feature that you did not already have in X11.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
                    That's not the point... Name a user-visible feature that you did not already have in X11.
                    The features are the same. I was happy with GNOME on X11 and now I am happy with GNOME on Wayland.
                    X11 worked for me when I used it, and now Wayland works great for me.

rmfx said something about 15 years but I use GNOME on Wayland today and it works great. I don't miss X11.

Comment

Working...
                    X