DRM CI Merged Into Linux 6.6 - Linus Torvalds: "Let's See Where It Goes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM CI Merged Into Linux 6.6 - Linus Torvalds: "Let's See Where It Goes"

Phoronix: DRM CI Merged Into Linux 6.6 - Linus Torvalds: "Let's See Where It Goes"

In addition to all the open-source kernel graphics/display driver updates for Linux 6.6, merged this afternoon ahead of the Linux 6.6-rc1 tagging is merging of the DRM continuous integration (CI) code to hopefully lead to better testing of DRM subsystem/driver changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

odd that they nested it all within their drivers/ code. it should be a top level. hopefully this will inspire other devs and the kbuild team to contribute to this. long overdue.

Comment

Six months later...

Kernel.org adopts GitLab for Linux kernel development, submits a giant set of patches to adapt GitLab to their nneedsñ, add extensive features for better integration and gr et all info contained in Git repos and integrates their mailing lists on it.

I hope that, sincerely...

Comment

Finally!
        I am quite excited because it opens many opportunities for the future. Not neccessarily everything has to be put in place at once.
        Let's see where it goes...

Comment

DRM - first it wiggles its way into games, now Linux! Won't somebody think of the penguins? 🐧

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post
            DRM - first it wiggles its way into games, now Linux! Won't somebody think of the penguins? 🐧
            Other kind of DRM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Rendering_Manager

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Yes

GreenReaper What an accidentally funny comment you had? There's GOG and ZOOM for DRM-free games.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Other kind of DRM
                Yeah, I know. 😼 And I know it technically came first.

It's just that for people coming from outside the Linux kernel world - and many are, now, which is great - it's an unfortunate collision that can lead to confusion. Especially since GPU manufacturers and others in the AV pathway have to implement DRM as part of HDCP, and so it might reasonably be related to their drivers. I sometimes wonder if it might be good to call it, say, LDRM to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

Those sexy, sexy penguins.

Comment

i wonder whether that ci stuff should be in the main repository itself.

it would be a nice idea if entire kernel works with one CI system, but if every subsystem uses a different CI, this may become a bit messy.

Comment

Working...
                    X