No announcement yet.

KDE Lands More Power Management Tuning, Behaves Better On Btrfs File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Lands More Power Management Tuning, Behaves Better On Btrfs File-Systems

Phoronix: KDE Lands More Power Management Tuning, Behaves Better On Btrfs File-Systems

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his newest weekly development summary as the developers work toward releasing Plasma 6.0 in February...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    [- When KDE Plasma is running within a virtual machine (VM), it now disables auto-suspend since that can sometimes cause the VM to hang.

- The hybrid sleep mode is now properly working under KDE with Plasma 5.27.8.​
    Fricking YAY! to disabling auto-suspend in VM's. It still to this day works so badly much of the time unless you like being a tweak guru. Lock the dang machine before you step away imho. I don't know why the seem to get it mostly right on laptops but not desktops?

Comment

Glad for any baloo improvement. It's kde's weak point, also due to a bad choice of the db backend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
        Glad for any baloo improvement. It's kde's weak point, also due to a bad choice of the db backend.
        Baloo sucks, it makes the system a lot slower. I *ALWAYS* disable it!

Comment

Same, I never use Baloo because it's just trashing all hard drives non-stop. Useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
            Would you care to elaborate? I think in uses LMDB, which is a very reasonable choice for a key-value store.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Would you care to elaborate? I think in uses LMDB, which is a very reasonable choice for a key-value store.
              From the KDE Wiki:

Baloo concentrates heavily on files, and provides both a data store and search store for files. These are stored using a combination of sqlite and xapian.

Jeez, I need to edit that page to fix a pet peeve -- just because the word "and" is there doesn't mean a comma is needed.

EDIT: I feel the need to edit this post and point out that the KDE Wiki is incorrect there. While I don't mind fixing punctuation issues, which I did, I don't feel comfortable changing technical information without knowing how to read the code.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 09 September 2023, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

From the KDE Wiki:
                These are stored using a combination of sqlite and xapian.
                That's bullshit, it's not linked against any of those.

Comment

That's bullshit, it's not linked against any of those.
                  The page does say "Information may be obsolete" before the link to Baloo/Architecture. The Arch package has "lmdb" as a dependency.

Comment

This one gives some insight: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404057#c8

Comment

Working...
                    X