Linux 6.6 Bringing Qt6 Port To "make xconfig" Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murdock View Post
    I don't mind if it's ugly, this help to get the job done. What are alternatives ? First one is menuconfig, get the job done but searching for an item is not really easy ! You have to shift+ '/', look in which category your item is and then go there. With xconfig, ctrl+f, that all it takes. Second one is gconfig but stability is not always here...
    For kernel/buildroot configuration, xconfig really help ! I'm glad maintenance is still done on it (don't need to update UI, what would you change anyway... ?)
    I generally use menuconfig but if xconfig can actually find the header files and run properly, I'll give it a whirl since I need a 6.5 kernel upgrade soon.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      It needs an overhaul. Not to make it more messy or simplistic, but more flexible without converting it into another gnome-like shit.

Or maybe...

make gnomeconfig
      make qtconfig
      make nconfig
      make tilingconfig

make gconfig will give you a gtk based interface for configuring the kernel (If you have GTK2 installed) and for those preferring ncurses, make nconfig will actually give you just that!

As the gtk interface does not support GTK3 or newer it does not appear to be maintained anymore.

If you need to change a setting in an existing kernel config the xconfig search function is imho the most powerful of the several interfaces. It can also display all config settings, namely those that are normally hidden because they are automatically set based on your input, handy if you have an error spewed at you from one of those hidden settings...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdock View Post
        I don't mind if it's ugly, this help to get the job done. What are alternatives ? First one is menuconfig, get the job done but searching for an item is not really easy ! You have to shift+ '/', look in which category your item is and then go there. With xconfig, ctrl+f, that all it takes. Second one is gconfig but stability is not always here...
        No love for make nconfig?

Comment

Working...
        X