EXT4 Lands A Nice Performance Improvement For Appending To Delalloc Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Lands A Nice Performance Improvement For Appending To Delalloc Files

Phoronix: EXT4 Lands A Nice Performance Improvement For Appending To Delalloc Files

With the EXT4 file-system updates for Linux 6.6 there is mostly some code clean-ups and other bug fixing. But one change in particular stands out for its performance impact...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this benefit XFS?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
      Does this benefit XFS?
      it's a performance improvement for EXT4. Where did it mention XFS?

Comment

Originally posted by Lbibass View Post

it's a performance improvement for EXT4. Where did it mention XFS?
        It's called wishful thinking

Comment

Can someone explain me the reason to use EXT4, when XFS is faster and has more features?

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
            Can someone explain me the reason to use EXT4, when XFS is faster and has more features?
            Well, as you can see, EXT is on version 4, while XFS is still on version 1 - EXT's got a name you can trust! 😼

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post
              Well, as you can see, EXT is on version 4, while XFS is still on version 1 - EXT's got a name you can trust! 😼
              When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build an extent based file system on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest extent based file system in all of England.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post
                This is not a serious post, in case anyone failed to see the sarcasm.

XFS long pre-dates EXT4, with roots as far back as 1993, at SGI.

I cannot provide a justification for using EXT4 over XFS, although there were some operations that EXT4 performed faster, back in the distant past. Not sure if that's still true. Actually, here's a recent comparison:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For whatever reason, I think some distros still default to EXT4. And then, a lot of people still have legacy filesystems that date back to when EXT4 was the de facto standard.

Comment

It's faster for single threaded applications. Once concurrency becomes a factor, ext4 is still faster and uses less load closer to a full fs.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    This is not a serious post, in case anyone failed to see the sarcasm.

XFS long pre-dates EXT4, with roots as far back as 1993, at SGI.

I cannot provide a justification for using EXT4 over XFS, although there were some operations that EXT4 performed faster, back in the distant past. Not sure if that's still true. Actually, here's a recent comparison:

For whatever reason, I think some distros still default to EXT4. And then, a lot of people still have legacy filesystems that date back to when EXT4 was the de facto standard.
                    Also Steam games will sometimes break on XFS. And after 3 decades XFS cannot shrink.

Comment

Working...
                    X