No announcement yet.

Wget2 2.1 Brings New Options, Proxies For Non-Default Ports, Better SSL Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wget2 2.1 Brings New Options, Proxies For Non-Default Ports, Better SSL Code

Phoronix: Wget2 2.1 Brings New Options, Proxies For Non-Default Ports, Better SSL Code

Released nearly one year ago was GNU Wget2 2.0 as a big improvement over Wget to support more protocols like HTTP/2, enabling multi-threading support and parallel connections, and a range of other feature additions. Published on Thursday was Wget2 2.1 as the newest step forward for this much-improved Wget open-source downloading solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is one of those tools that I always give for granted, always being there doing their work.

Reading this release news made me realize how much work is constantly made behind the scene.

kudos to the team!

Comment

The wget2 version hasn't seen much uptake as a replacement for wget among distros, right?

It is the official successor though, right? Made by the same people?

Comment

Why Wget2 when there's curl and Aria2?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          Code:
          wget --mirror
          is pretty sweet. These days I'm liking httpie and the go/rust varients. I find they have more usability for the common stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Different use cases. Curl is fantastic for making HTTP calls, testing APIs, etc — there are better tools for that (I like Httpie), but curl is virtually guaranteed to be present on any machine you might access. Wget is much better as a command-line download tool, since it does a lot more than just fetch one URL... as Fitzie notes, it's good for mirroring pages, downloading entire directories, etc. I'm not familiar with Aria2, but from what I see, it's a more high-level tool... able to run as a background daemon with an embedded web server, rather than being a simple command-line app...

Comment

There was a time when ftp support was removed from wget2. Is this still so?

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                The wget2 version hasn't seen much uptake as a replacement for wget among distros, right?

It is the official successor though, right? Made by the same people?
                Different ABI to wget.

Comment

Working...
                X