Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFSD With Linux 6.6 Brings A Thrilling New Feature

Phoronix: NFSD With Linux 6.6 Brings A Thrilling New Feature

Chuck Lever III of Oracle has submitted the NFSD changes for Linux 6.6 for this NFS server of which he is particularly thrilled about one of the new features this cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!

Comment

Benchmarks please...

Comment

This feature is sorely needed but with entire directory trees.

Certain applications like git and wordpress work with large many-file directory trees and are painfully slow over not only network filesystems but even virtual filesystems on VMs. Delegation of cache metadata for a whole directory tree would really help but still seems missing from all of the Linux implementations of NFS, CIFS, etc.

Having spent a lot of time working on databases and knowing the performance pain even within a multi-threaded process of co-ordinating such things I appreciate it's not entirely straight forward, though

Comment

Does anyone use NFS? Is it popular? Or does everyone just use Microsofts SMB/CIFS?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Does anyone use NFS? Is it popular? Or does everyone just use Microsofts SMB/CIFS?
            Pretty sure everyone just uses SMB due to interop... probably the uses of NFS are where it's strictly Linux/*nix only shops, and netbooted clients etc... would make sense. But a lot of that has been replaced by alternative tech, like iSCSI for VMs, etc... also universities tend to use other more scalable FS like AFS (or YourFS/Auristor Jeff Altman is runs that and is a fairly cool guy trying to improve deficiencies in AFS that collected as cruft over the years. He extended AFS to a lot of morn modern features like mobile client support so it wouldn't suck to use AFS over mobile networks etc... )

Also one of the guys that was pretty involved with Kerberos and AFS at UNC Charlotte over the years has passed away recently Jason Edgecombe. He'll be missed, one of the two guys I knew that had a Nokia N800 back in the day.

Comment

I still interact with higher end NFS on a daily basis. 100+Gbit/s activity per nfs cluster for sometimes hours on end. Both read and write heavy. I don't personally know many people using it, but I know it's still in a lot of extremely long running projects.

Comment

We use it for database streaming replication to transfer WALs (write-ahead transaction logs) from primary to standby server. Wouldn't call it overly popular, but it definitely has its uses.

Comment

ouch..

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                    Pretty sure everyone just uses SMB
                    sigh..

Comment

Working...
                    X